So did anyone hear about the sonic boom that was heard all over Washington yesterday?

A couple of tourist violated the air space while Obama was visiting the state and two F15s had to scramble here to get them out of the air space. Causing a sonic boom that was heard pretty much from Seattle to the state lines. Crazy huh? Did anyone else hear about this?

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't hear about it, but I haven't had a chance to watch the news in the last 24 hours......
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• A few friends on fb made a post about a "boom". Not sure what it was related to though.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Heard about the planes, didn't hear the boom

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No, lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LOL My bil lives outside of Seattle and he didn't hear anything.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• NPR had something on during a newscast yesterday afternoon. The pilot of the small private plane was questioned and released.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• When I was growing up, we use to hear sonic booms all the time. I wish we still could. My kids have never heard a sonic boom (other than at the end of a bull whip). Too bad.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

I have little or no confidence in this report. A sonic boom is the result of an aircraft flying faster than the speed of sound and "breaking" the sound barrier. This is what mach 1 (II, III) is. Depending on weather conditions that means the plane was flying anywhere from 660 & 760 mph. I don't think a "small private plane" can do that. Military jets are the ones who do that (and the Concord!).

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Jesse The boom would have been caused by the military jets getting to the smaller plane--not the small plane..
    Youngwifey2

Answer by Youngwifey2 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Duh Jesse. We're not saying the small plain caused it, we're saying the jets did when they came to stop the small plane from entering restricted airspace. They caused the 911 line to shut down for atleast an hour. Crazy!
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010