Crib

My son will be turning 3 on Nov 2nd and i was just wondering when i should switch from crib to a bed?

mamaangel07

Asked by mamaangel07 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter switched from her crib to a toddler bed just before her 2nd birthday, which was in June. The crib was getting way too small for her, and I was starting to worry about her trying to climb out and ending up falling kind of far down. She LOVES her new bed and the fact that she can climb in and out of it herself, and since it's close to the ground I don't worry about her falling out and getting hurt!
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 1:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That's a personal decision. Most women I know switched by three or before. My first was the only one to use a crib and we switched him when he was 18 months old because he wanted to use a big boy bed. The rest of my kids we co-slept with and we moved my second oldest son when he was 2 1/2 into his own bed and my next son moved into his bed when he was 3, but he didn't want to, I had another baby and there just wasn't room on the bed. My daughter who is almost 2 is showing signs she wants to sleep in her own bed so we need to get her one. But she's very independent! She's let me know when she was done with the high chair, when she wanted to start potty training, and that she does not like to sit in the cart at the grociery store! She has 6 older brothers and does not want to be the baby! Transitioning into a bed means a lot of patience and understanding when your son decides to get out of bed. ;)
    Cassarah

Answer by Cassarah at 2:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Sure! I think of you are ready then go ahead with it. I moved my son at 20 months because we were expecting and he was climbing out of the crib. I hope you have fun moving him. Buy some cute bedding and make it a fun event. Happy transitioning...
    mamahertz

Answer by mamahertz at 2:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• When they are ready. My daughter is 2 1/2 and has been out of a crib since she was 1 1/2 because she was climbing out of it, she rocked the dang thing to death, was figuring out how to take it apart. If he is ready GO FOR IT! but, if he is a mover, and isn't too motivated about getting out of the bed there is nothing wrong with it. Some kids don't do good with that kind of change, so it he does, get the new bed and take the crib apart slowly so he can adjust to it!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I personally wouldn't do it if he wasn't climbing out of the crib, which our son was doing around 2 y/o. He was climbing OUT & IN, LOL! We put his new bed in his room with the crib and he liked playing on the new bed, but at night wouldn't sleep in it. We let him keep the crib another couple of months until he climbed out and got stuck once. We had to put him in the new bed and only removed the bedding/bumper from the crib one night. Then the next 1-2 days, I removed the mattress. Then the next 1-2 days, I removed the "toys" from the crib. Then I removed the crib altogether. That gave him a week or so to adjust. It helped him a lot. He hates change, LOL! Good luck! :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Cut the cord and let him be independent! I just switched my 19 month old daughter over to a toddler bed a few weeks ago and it has worked out well. We have a baby gate on her bedroom door and our home is toddler proofed so there is little trouble she can get into if she wakes up in the middle of the night.

She is very excited over her new found independence of getting in and out of bed by herself. I find it safer too because if she falls out of bed, it is only an 8 inch fall. If she were to climb out of her crib, it would be a few feet that she could fall.

Good luck!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• oh my, Dear i took my son out of his crib when he was 1. it is also a step for them to know they are getting bigger , like a positive thing for them. My son felt such a big boy when he got rid of that crib . it was like he grew up a little bit and he showed it! :)
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• now my son was 2 sleeping in a toddler bed
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My oldest son was out of his crib and in a toddler bed before he turned 3. One reason was because I was pregnant with my second child, but he had begun to try to climb out of the crib.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:04 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

• thanks for all the advise ladies...I will keep it all in mind when i get his bed.
    mamaangel07

Comment by mamaangel07 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2010