Should I try stripping the membranes before I let them induce me?

Today is my due date and docs are already bringing up induction! They will do a sono in one week and if all is ok will let it go a few days longer than will induce. If not ok they will want to induce right away. I asked them about stripping my membranes but they said they are afraid I can't handle it. Is it really that bad? Does it have success? Should I try it first before induction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You want to do it to yourself? What does stripping the membranes mean?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Why would they not let you go until you go naturally if all is well? And I hear that stripping the membranes can hurt and won't do any good if your baby and body aren't ready.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I've never had my membranes stripped, but I was induced with my first and if this baby is overdue as well then we will induce again. I was 41 weeks when I was induced, but I think I'm going to ask about getting my membranes stripped before they try to induce.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 2:32 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 41 weeks is not overdue. 42 weeks and 1 day would be overdue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had my membranes striped w/ #2 & #3 (was induced w/ #1 because of high blood pressure). Not a big deal, just a lot of pressure but it doesn't really hurt. I asked them to strip mine. Remember they can accidently rupture your water bag when doing so! GL w/ your decision!
    dragonflylovr19

Answer by dragonflylovr19 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i would refuse the induction. :) it sounds like they are really rude and disrespectful if they only gave the reason that you couldn't handle having your membranes stripped.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had th emembranes stripped with my second baby and she was born 6 hours later. it isn't that hard to take. WHy would they think you can't handle it?> HAve you given them any reason why they would think you couldn't handle it? LOL. But ---I really wouldn't agree to being induced. It is not healthy.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would not let them induce me until there seems to be a problem like placental deterioration or fetal stress. Or a medical issue with you. Just cause you hit your die date is not a good reason. Inductions suck...lol..I have never had my membranes stripped, but i would have them try that before induction. I hear it hurts a bit, but if you can get baby to come naturally rather than induction it wil be better!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had my membranes stripped with my 1st pregnancy and labor started that night and I gave birth the next morning. I've heard a lot of times it doesn't work if your baby & body aren't ready. It's not too painful to actually have it done, it's the aftermath of all the cramping that was more painful to me. I don't agree with induction, I think the baby will come when the baby is ready...but there are some women who never go into labor on their own, their bodies just don't seem to know what it's time to expel the baby, in which case you would kind of have to be induced. Are you thinking of stripping your membranes yourself, or asking your doc to do it?
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 4:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• if you want your membranes stripped I would have a doc do it, don't do it yourself. what if something bad happened? also your doctor doing it would be more sanitary, i don't see why they would say you can't handle it. it's not bad. labor is worse lol. Also I was induced with my first child and had a wonderful labor and delivered him with no pain meds. He was 9lbs at 36 weeks and I didn't tear or even come close to needing a c-section. I'm glad my ob decided to induce me we concluded that we were off on my due date by about a month. I know everyone has their opinions and thats just mine. I'm sure there are some women who have horrible labors from being induced. Maybe I can handle pain better idk. gl to you!! and please girls don't take this out of context, I'm not being rude, just stating how I feel :)
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 8:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010