Should my family try an intervention for my Dad?

My Dad has become an alcoholic over the past few years. He has even been told by a motorcycle club he belongs to that he needs to stop drinking so much. He has no place to live AGAIN and spends all his money on booze. He has a good paying job but won't pay bills or look for a place to live. He's already lost the house I grew up in simply because he didn't care. He avoids his brothers because they want him to stop drinking. He didn't talk to my sister for a year because he said she owed him money which she didn't. I love my Dad but I can't have him live with me a third time. I have three kids of my own to take care of. He also admitted to me that he is doing drugs again. My youngest son is a year old and doesn't know him. Would an intervention be a good idea? Even if it doesn't work, we'd at least know we tried.

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• I can say it will help you feel like you have done everything you can to help him but speaking from experience, it will only have a chance of working if he is ready.. It's not pretty and you have to be strong. That is what I think failed for me, I'm a daddy's girl and I didn't want him being mad at me. Sorry you have to go through that.
    blessedmama4

Answer by blessedmama4 at 11:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It does not sound to me like you really have anything to lose. Honestly speaking, you have already lost your dad to drinking, so by staging an intervention, you would simply be trying to salvage what you have already lost.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, yes YES! You definately need to have an intervention. Do something before its too late!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think an intervention is a very good idea. It could save his life.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I feel like even if he doesn't agree to stop drinking and doing drugs, we will have told him how it affects us. Then if he decides alcohol and drugs are more important than his family, we know we at least tried. He's already irresponsible and ignoring us so what do we have to lose? I don't know how to approach my sister with it. I don't know who will agree to help me.
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• doesn't hurt to try. be prepared for all outcomes... meanwhile, go to al-anon.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• BUMP
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes try your best to do what you can for your dad im sorry that your dad chooses alcohol better then to make his life better i hope it does get better
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, definately try an intervention before it's too late.
    It sounds like you Love your Dad and I am sure you are hurting. Hopefully God will touch his heart thorugh this intervention and you can get him back. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 5:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010