stripping membranes?

i did not have to do it with my birthing experience But i had a friend who did. she said it hurt a lot? i hope i do not come off as dumb? i think that putting fingers to check for dilation had an element of pain .. but my friend said that stripping membranes was very extremely painful

so question is i guess explain to me what it is and does it hurt a lot or alittle or ..?

thank you

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it done twice with my last pregnancy......it only has a 50% chance of working. I never thought it hurt but my doctor always had me take deep breaths and cough when he did it. I guess that distracted me from the pain! When they do it they run a finger along your cervix pulling the "sac" away from your cervix.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 2:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• no one has to have it done, but some OBs/midwives will want to do it. it's actually risky. google cochrane collaboration and then look up their report on it. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i was lucky. i guess my doctor was used to breaking waters and doing the stripping but with me i had to be induced yea but after that my body did everything on its own. stripping membranes was not even spoken about with me :|

eeee! i cannot wait to give birth again. it was so painful but so great. i want to do it againnnn... and i am such a weiny when it comes to pain typically lol!
    MoMoFu

Comment by MoMoFu (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• stripping the membranes wouldn't be something done after labor began, it's sometimes done before labor starts to get it to start. but i don't think it has a high success rate. doctors also don't have to break the water, sometimes they will to try to get things to speed up but i don't think it actually does speed things up, instead it just introduces more risks. lol. you can tell i don't like doctors messing with membranes ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i'm sorry but if you think stripping your membranes is extremely painful how do you think labor is going to feel? don't take that the wrong way either pleae I'm not being mean :) I've just read a lot of questions and such lately about stripping membranes and labor hurt 1,000 times worse lol. had mine stripped and was fine. maybe I have a higher pain threshold.
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 8:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010