What is your best advice on planning an economical wedding.

MakkarMom

Asked by MakkarMom at 2:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I catered my own, did my own cake, simple decorations, silk flowers for my bouquet and no flowers for centerpieces (it was a fall wedding so I covered pumpkins in fine glitter the color of my wedding. I think my biggest money tip is to get your dress off ebay, yeh I know it sounds sketchy, but my SIL and I both got our dresses off ebay from a seller in China, she basically takes all the dresses from the magazines and makes them herself, I sent her my measurments so the dress fit me perfect, she did the dress in the color I wanted, she had pearls where I wanted, added sequins and beading whatever I wanted and it only cost me $160!!!!, my SIL ordered 2 dresses from her, and they were gorgeous, I also got my jewlery off ebay too. I saw shows on tv where ppl were doing their whole wedding off ebay and it only costing like $1000 bucks total

fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would suggest to checkout different websites as far as little acessories that go along with wedding and also I would ask around for help with flowers, catering, and that would cut HUGE cost
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 2:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Do your own food - catering is SO pricey. That limits you on venues, but it's such a cheaper option.

Skip out on alcohol altogether.

Do silk flowers instead of real flowers.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would suggest not having a bunch of bridesmaids and groomsmen.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly, I went to the courthouse.
    I would LOVE a big fancy wedding. But I just can't afford it at this stage in my life. That money can be better used other places. Maybe in the future when we renew our vows.

All that matters in the end, IMO is the commitment between you and your spouse.
    ToriBabe1221

Answer by ToriBabe1221 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• have it at a park so you don't have to pay for a venue :) have people just dress however they want rather than buying bridesmaid dresses, renting tuxes
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If friends ask to help on certain things that aren't a big concern for you, let them. For example, when I got married my friend made wedding cakes. I didn't care what the cake looked like, so she made it. It turned out nice and I didn't have to pay for it. My Dad worked at a print shop and printed my invitations for me, and his boss gave him a huge discount. My family decorated my Aunt's house and I also had a friend who sang professionally who did our wedding music. All in all, we saved a lot of money. Use your strengths. If you are crafty and have the time, making your own invitations is a big cost saver. Look around for unique wedding favors, because they don't have to be a huge expense.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You'll have to do a lot of the work yourself and do a lot of shopping around for the best prices.

We did our wedding for about $3,000. PM me if you'd like to chat.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Keep it SMALL!
    My DH and I had an outdoor wedding (cheaper than a church) with about 60 people. The "reception" was dinner in the banquet room at an Italian restaurant (amazing food, and cheaper than a reception hall/caterer/DJ). My best friend/matron-of-honor is a photography major, so she did the pictures for us. We finished the evening with a BIG party for all our friends in our backyard. I think the entire thing (including my dress/his suit) was under $3,000. (I found an awesome wedding dress @ Salvation Army that someone had donated; it was simple, classy and happened to be my size!)
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Great advice from all...thank you so much. It is greatly appreciated. My wedding date is May 28, 2011 and I do not plan on getting married in debt.
    MakkarMom

Comment by MakkarMom (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010