How can I find a good baby sitter that I can trust?

My husband and I don't have any family here, and don't trust many people to watch our daugther. Our daughter is 14 months, and we would like to go out once in a while. Any thoughts on how to find a good qualified baby sitter? Thanks!

Mrs.JennyTracy

Asked by Mrs.JennyTracy at 2:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Interview. Check references. Ask around in your neighborhood if anyone knows of reliable, trustworthy babysitters in the area.
    bellaitaliapicz

Answer by bellaitaliapicz at 2:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter is a Brownie. Early last year the Girl Scouts put out a list of teen baby sitters in our area and sent it around. You could contact the Girls Scouts in your area and ask if such a list exists. You can also contact the local High School and ask them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Get involved with a mom's group and make friends. You can exchange watching each other's kids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Care.com is a good website to find sitters in your area. You can pay care.com and they will do a background check or some sitters may already have that, if someone already paid for it, the nanny can keep it on their page and allow others to view it.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Do you go to church? My church had plenty of them.... contact a local church
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We have an exchange student and trust her....so she's our babysitter. We had another one last year and also got to meet a number of her friends, over the summer we used them.
    ecagle

Answer by ecagle at 2:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• have you tried family?
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:24 AM on Aug. 19, 2010