• In the Spotlight:

Flat feet...

Brought my son in for his two-year appointment yesterday and we found out that he has flat feet. The doctor assures me that it's nothing to worry about and that it will most likely rectify itself. I believe him and am really not concerned seeing as how my son is very active and obviously not at all bothered by this.

Just wanted to see how many other moms out there went through this and what ended up happening with their flat-footed babies :)

arouthier

Asked by arouthier at 2:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I have no gone through it with a child, but I am flat-footed...always have been. It really hasn't been much of an issue other than when shoe shopping.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My little brother had flat feet. We had special shoes made that had high foot pads inside and it worked
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Toddler's feet are supposed to be flat. It's best to let them be barefoot as much as possible. Shoes should have soft bendable soles.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i am flat footed and I have never had any problem...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am flat footed and so is my son. Although, we have flexible flat feet, meaning if we stand and lift just our toes, our arch will go up. Rigid flat feet are the worst, but, manageable. We have had no issues or worries from it. Your child may also just have fat pads in the area and will lose it as he gets older. My feet and my son's are still flat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm flat footed, my only occasional issue is buying tennis shoes because they almost all have built in arch supports.... and I have no arch to support
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Flat-footedness is a dominant gene. If one of the parents has flat feet then the child will have a 50% chance of getting flat feet. My husband has flat feet and we know for sure the 2 of our 3 kids have flat feet. Our daughter is still too little for us to know for sure since as Gailll said above, toddlers are supposed to have flat feet. My husband was active duty military for 9 years and his flat feet never bothered him. My oldest son's feet are wide and flat -- he sometimes has problems with the inside of his foot (where the arch should be) rubbing and getting blisters. We just have to be careful to buy well-fitting shoes -- which sometimes means spending a little more on shoes to make sure they fit properly.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 2:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my son has it and the doctor also told me to just have him bearfoot in the house and to make sure i get him soft shoes so that his feet dont hurt but my son doesnt have any problems he runs and jumps like a normal kid the doctor did tell me that it will fi by itself or get better
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• my 3 year old has flat feet, and her 1 year old sister... they go without shoes often, and are supposed to grow out of it.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:01 PM on Aug. 30, 2010