My stepson age 6, is hiding in his room all day...is this normal?

Alright, he does have autism, however, he recently started hiding in is room all day. He takes his meals to his room and everything.

Once in a while he will come out for a 5 minute play session with his little sister, but then quickly return to his room.

Is this a normal behavior?

superclutz

Asked by superclutz at 2:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids with Autism don't have normal kid normal behavior. You will need to learn what's normal for him. There is a wide range of behaviors for kids with Autism.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I wouldn't let him hide alone all day. Step in and see if you can help him out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• talk to him,keep the lines of communication open.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I guess I should add that he is pretty much non-verbal so having a conversation with him won't help, and when I go into his room to play with him, he finds another private area to play in :(

I hope this is just a phase :(
    superclutz

Comment by superclutz (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Has something major happend in his life? a major move, or change or a person stop coming by?
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 5:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Chances are that he's not going to have "typical" behaviors as compared to other children... the thing is Is this behavior typical FOR HIM?
    If not, what is? Have there been any recent changes etc. And if eating dinner in your room is not typical, then I wouldn't allow it. Children with autism need to have rules and boundaries as much or more than any other child. (I say more b/c some kids kind understand today we are "breaking the rule" or that they are "grey" areas, children with autism typically have a difficult time with fluid boundaries -- they tend to be more black/white, this is the rule and that's the way it is)
    Talk to dh and maybe bio-mom and see if they are any recent changes.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't know enough about his level of Autism to say whether that is normal or not.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 12:11 AM on Aug. 19, 2010

***
    As his stepmother, it is now your job to learn as much about autism and the degree to which your stepson is affected. ALL children with autism have strengths, it's our job as parents of special needs children to discover what they are, and to provide them with as much of an outlet to express their strength(s) in a structured and productive environment.

You should accompany his mother and/or father to his Developmental Pediatrician appointments, talk with his teachers and therapists, and see what you can do to supplement his social skills and development when he's not in school or with his therapists. It's never too late to at least TRY things like coloring, reading, playing with toys together, and introducing him to outdoor sports activities and playground equipment.

Learn ways to come into HIS world, and he may come into YOURS!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• By the way, both of my boys ages 8 1/2 and 6 1/2 have autism, and we have made SIGNIFICANT progress by learning sign language, how to incorporate a Picture Exchange System (Google "PECS") to help them communicate their wants and needs, and by getting them enrolled in sports, activities and day camps specifically designed for autistic children--MOST of which are FREE or very little cost through the state!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2010