leaving child alone in the tub

Ok so i'm wondering if its just me. I'm I been to tight on the leash. So I have a 3 year old son and I won't leave him in the tub alone. i'm scared to even go to the room and grab his towel. and the room is super close. If my Dh is home he must bring it to me or i'll make my son stand up until i get back but my best friend leaves her daughter in the tub same age. To play and when she is done she calls for her to come then she gives her a bath after she has had her little play time. on that hand my son wont get alot of play time in the tub unless is dad gives him a bath(which aint often) because all I want to do is get in and get out. (dont get me wrong I let him play sometimes but not always because I have a baby I have to tend to. So the question is i'm i been to scary and what age did you leave you kids in the bathroom alone?

Sky_Mom

Asked by Sky_Mom at 2:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my DS is almost 5 and I will run to his room to get jammies, but our upstairs hallway is about 6 feet long....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No, do not leave him alone! Get all u need before he is in the tub!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it's irresponsible to leave a three-year old unattended in a bathtub. A child can drown in as little as one inch of water. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you staying next to the tub for the entirety of his bath.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 2:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Dang y'all, she said at what age did you leave yours alone. I highly doubt you stayed with your kid until they were teens.

I let mine play starting at 4. He could swim and knew not to stand up.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 3 years is too young to leave alone. Stay with him the entire time.

My DD is 5 and I still make sure I have everything ready before she gets in...if I need something, I have DH get it. DS is 7 and I leave him alone, but still not for long. He takes a shower most of the time anyway, though.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You are not being too overprotective. When I was a child, we had a neighbor family that lost their little girl in the bathtub at the age of 3. Her Mom had run to get a towel from the dryer and found her under water when she returned. It's just too scary and dangerous at that age. Even if the child knows how to swim, they may slip and hit their head and go under, and if they are knocked out, will not be able to swim...
    jjamom

Answer by jjamom at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2 and I don't leave him alone. My husband and I were just talking about this. We're not sure when we'll start leaving him to play alone in the tub, but it definitely won't be any time before 5. It's just too easy for a kiddo to slip, hit their head and drown.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is four and I will NOT leave him alone in a bath. It only takes a second for something to go wrong and they could drown. I do let him take showers, and I will leave the room for a split second, if I need something, but our house is small and I'm back in a flash. Until my son knows how to swim, able to blow bubbles in water and hold breath, he will not be left alone in a tub of water.

In your case of having him stand while you run to get something, not the best idea. He could slip, whack his head and drown or die from impact. I don't want to scare you, but my DH read an article about a grandma who left her grandson in the tub, he fell, hit his head and drowned.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 2:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We started leaving our children alone in the tub for short periods when they were about 2; by the time they were 3-4 they were left alone most of the bath time. I kept the bathroom door open, and I could hear what was going on, and I would check in with them, but I did not sit in there with them. When they were 5-6 they were starting the bathwater and totally caring for themselves. They are 8 and 9 now. I don't do anything with them, although my daughter will call me in to check that her hair is completely rinsed.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is 5 and bathing independently, though we leave the bathroom door open and my dh checks on him.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010