What kind of material should I use to make a wrap?

I want to make a moby style wrap so I need material that has a slight bit of stretch for comfort, but is also sturdy enough to provide support and hold it's strength as my daughter grows. It was recommended to me to use either 100% cotton or a jersey knit fabric (and perhaps just make a new one when she gets heavier), but they ranged from 10-13 dollars a yard. Considering I need 5-6 yards, it would almost be cheaper to buy one! Does anyone have any suggestions on a cheaper, but effective fabric I could use to make my baby wrap?

MamaSunBear

Asked by MamaSunBear at 2:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Dang, the wrap is $40.00...Thanks for this..I believe I will just buy one when I need it. Wow, $10 a yard and 5 yards. Wow.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Look for sales. JoAnn Fabrics has sales on fabric weekly. Also Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupons every other week. You can go on a week they have the coupon out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would think jersey knit would bhe the most suitable... Maybe you can ask a worker at the fabric store for an alternative. sorry
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Use a Jersey fabric that has texture. The texture is IMPORTANT due to the fact that it grabs easier when put through a ring or tied. A cotton fabric without texture would slip easier causing the wrap to be unsafe. Jersey fabric is durable, strong, and has that bit of stretch needed to keep you and baby comfortable. Go to Youtube.com and search "No Sew Wraps" or "No Sew Slings" .. There are hundreds of videos (some aren't in English) that you can view through to find what you need to know.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I just bought a Moby wrap after costing it out. I quilt so I have bought a lot of fabric in my day. The Moby fabric is a bit different than the standard jersey knit that stretches both cross wise and long wise, it only stretches cross wise (up and down when the wrap is worn) but it doesn't stretch out (much) causing your baby to sag down. Good quality fabrics will run you $10/yard easily, so it doesn't save you anything to make your own.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 9:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I made mine with the regular quilter's cotton from walmart (when mine sold fabric still) I bought 2.5 yards, but it long ways and did a reinforced seam on the short ends to have a roughly 22" X 5 yard warp. hem and done. Cost me $5 and worked great!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• i agree ask @ the store.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2010