Do you agree that the hardest job in the world is not being a parent, but being a step parent?

Being a parent is hard enough but being a step parent & dealing w/ each others Xs is MUCH harder to me.

JacqulynClayton

Asked by JacqulynClayton at 2:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that all depends on if you gat along with the x or not.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You got that right! The worst part about being a step-parent is the ex-wife. Mine is a vindictive bitch!
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Maybe for you... in my brother's situation however it is easier... my nephews dad wants nothing to do with him (but won't sign over rights for my brother to adopt). That has been the hardest thing for my brother. He has raised "his" son since he was 9months old. We all say that he is his dad and even though my nephew knows that he isn't his bio dad he loves him and thinks of him that way.
    I guess we are very lucky in our situation.

I suppose having to deal with ex's is harder though. Good luck!
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• To me, no its not harder than being a parent. But in my situation my step children dont live with us, but they do come here often to stay. With my own children, I have to deal with everything. Being a step parent...I simply support my dh's decisions and the decisions he and his ex wife make together about thier children.
    I have had tough moments, trust me. But tougher than being a bio mom..for me...no.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You asked this on the WRONG day, lol! I am a step mom to a child with autism. His mom feeds him candy and sweets, does not dress him appropriately, dumps him at daycare all the time and I cannot step in because I have no legal guardianship over him.

It is difficult to maintain a working relationship with the bio-mom, you are an acting parent with no rights to the child.... yeah it is more difficult!
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am not a step parent but I think it would be hard but probably depends on the entire sitaution.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I totally agree with that
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Even tho I get along w/ my stepsons mom, it's still so hard. We have split custody of my son & stepson, my husband hasn't spoken to his X in 5 yrs & doesn't speak to my X.... I deal w/ them both. The hard part is that the rules & consequences aren't the same in the other households. Ground them here & they are free there. My stepson seems to have no rules or consequences @ his bio moms house so when he comes back here, he has to readjust to our rules.
    JacqulynClayton

Comment by JacqulynClayton (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We have a very different lifestyle and parenting style than Sd's mom and it is hard for everyone at different times in different ways. Same issue but less so with my oldest son because he doesn't spend as much time with his dad (which leads to another whole set of issues....) I don't think it's necessarily harder to be a stepparent than to be a parent, but it is hard to parent any kids whether they are biokids or stepkids when there is another whole household involved. It is hard enough to compromise in parenting with the other parent who is actually living with you, and when the two of you have to take all these other households and their parenting into consideration too it just gets mindboggling.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No I don't agree. I have to parent everyday my stepdaughter comes over biweekly if not less and hubby takes care of his business with her mother.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 3:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010