7Mnth old & givin water?

My dd is 7mnths old..the drs had told me before to try her on juice (try) bc her acid reflux is sooo bad..well the juice didnt work..this was a few weeks ago..so today i was thinkin i would give her some water..i tried it before plain and she drank a good bit...but today i put in one of those water mixers generic walmart brand in my bottle and spit it with her..it was grape flavor she drank about 3oz...i was just curious if anyone else had tried this or what ppls thoughts were? I have tried several juices and she cant drink any..the dr told me that if i get thirsty then more than likely she is so i didnt know what else to offer her...does anyone else give their baby water? How much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my 11 month old the walmart flavored water - 4 calories per 8 oz, and NO sugar... Can't beat that! I would rather her drink that then juice! She LOVES the grape flavor, (as do I) It's my favorite!! I started her with water a long time ago. My oldest daughter has had severe reflux since birth (she was diagnosed with gastric ulcers at 10 months old and vomitted at least 5-10 times a day of pure blood)... I know what you are going through. She had to have a feeding tube at 1 year due to severe malnourishment *the tube never worked since she would still vomit) Anyhow- She is 4 now and had to have a nissen fundoplication *wrapping your stomach around esophagus*... It has helped with the reflux tremendously.. However she still has esophagitis.. Good luck! If you ever need someone to talk to you can PM me!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:56 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Juice makes anyone's reflux worse, even adults. Babies should only drink water and no drink mixes, no sugar water, no artificial sweeteners. Water can help with reflux but you have to be careful with babies. They can get something called water intoxication if they get too much water.

If you baby has reflux so bad at this age you want to ask to see a specialist and have tests done. Reflux is strong acid coming up that damages everything it contacts including the back of the throat. If the baby chokes on it then it can cause serious pneumonia or death. I've woken up choking on acid and it is terrifying.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Girl, I have no issues with it. Of course my kids are in their twenties, but we always gave our kids water. Needless to say, they turned out just fine. If she drinks it, it really can't hurt her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I give my daughter a drink mix- it is Propel grape or lemonade usually. My DD is 22 months so a little older but she hasn't had any problems with it. I don't see why it would be a problem unless you are concerned about the chemicals since it seems those drink mixes are usually made up of unpronouncable ingredients. At your child's age I usually go with the thinking that if it doesn't appear to make her stomach upset or anything then it is probably ok.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Both of my children like water. I never measured the amount though. I just gave it to them in a tippy cup. Have you tried dilooting the juice? I have to do that for my daughter. I do 50/50.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I like flavored water for my son. I don't remember when I started juice or milk. The juice, I used to make mostly water and a little juice mixed in for flavor.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 3:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• elly25 I actually have tried the 50/50 and it does not work..we have the worst time with this acid reflux..its horrible..im glad to find out that im not the only person out there that gives their baby water..i also thought maybe its cutting out alot of sugar that she would be getting from the juice...great you ladies have helped me feel better
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter has acid reflux and has since she was born. She is 1. I have never been told to give her water for this. I was given a chewable to give her which made her throw up so we stopped that, and now I have been putting cereal in her bottle for at least 7-8 months and it has helped tremendously. I have always been told to use the cereal. It helps keep the formula down. And they do not choke on it. Some ignorant aholes have tried to say that. I feed her and keep her elevated and watch her to make sure she doesn choke after she eats.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i think giving water without additives would be better. There is no reason to give powdered mix, candy, etc. any more than on special occasions- especially with babies. Maybe super diluted juice (2/3 water, 1/3 juice- or even less)- but baby shouldn't need anything too fancy:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010