If you have ever filed for disability...

how long did it take before you were approved and recieved your first check? did you get denied at first and have to file an appeal?

i have stage 4 cancer and am clinically depressed. I filed for disability 4 months ago and am desperately needing money. I'm hoping im approved this month because we dont even have the money to pay our rent for next month because i have been out of work all year and we have drained all our savings and have already went through all the money our church gave us after taking up a special offering for us. I need some hope that my disability will go through soon!

LoriaAnn

Asked by LoriaAnn at 3:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am sorry you are going through this.
    When I filed (I broke my leg) it took about 6 weeks to hear back and I was approved as long as my dr. could prove I was still unable to work. I would contact them if you haven't heard in 4 months, you should have heard somthing by now.
    twinmama2009

Answer by twinmama2009 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My mom filed but I think your sitaution is different than hers. It took her 8 years because its her knees and they kept making her try to work even though they just give out and she falls and all the doctors said she can't work.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There's is no telling, but when it does come they send you back time money for when u signed up.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• SSI can take 3-4 years. They pretty much refuse everyone and make you go through appeals process. When you do get SSI you get all the back money from the date you applied. I'm sorry to say in cases like yours (life-threatening) they are hoping you die before you get through the appeals process. This is very frustrating and doesn't help with depression. Don't count on SSI, I can't stress this enough. No matter how much you believe you deserve SSI and you think they should approve you, don't count on SSI. You need to figure out other ways for you and your family to survive. When you do get SSI everything happen suddenly. The check may even go in yor bank account before you get your letter saying you are getting it. If you need to get a lawyer they usually get paid from your back SSI.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think the first person that said 6 weeks for a broken leg may be talking about workmans comp.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my brother is on after having serious health issues and he is not going to improve
    i do not know all details but he began illness last november
    and is on it for last few months
    so in his case at least less than 6 months

good luck
    and good health
    God bless you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010