schedule

my son is about 6 wks old and still doesn't have much of a schedule with sleep as i'm sure they don't at this young age, but i need to be back to work within the next week. how can i get this schedule down or hold old are they when they get a set schedule or pretty close to it?

Devin0414

Asked by Devin0414 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Every child is different. Good luck! I went back to work at 10 weeks with my son, it's tough in the beginning but it gets easier.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Scheduling an infant is sort of like herding cats. Here's what I did when I went back at ten weeks:

Wakeup 5AM...HE did that, not me...but I'd have been up then anyway. Feed, shower, dress, off to nana's house for dropoff, off to work. Pump at work every three hours. Go home, nurse. In bed by about 9PM, expecting to wake often. Up again at 5. A good night's sleep to me is five hours, so I was good with that.

See who had the schedule? ME. Not him! I just had to be flexible enough to allow for extra time for feeding or other needs. Trying to schedule my son only led to less sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I may not be fit to give advice since my DD didn't get a really set schedule until about 6 months. That being said, at this early age we did try to establish some routine. My best advice is to really watch baby for cues- does she always get sleepy around a certain time (for my DD it was 11:00 a.m. so I could pretty much plan on that from the get go), does she like to eat before or after sleeping, etc. Maybe write down things for a few days to look for patterns of sleeping and eating times. I find it is easiest to work with what baby wants to do naturally at least as much as possible. That will be easier for you than just trying to create your ideal schedule and then get baby to conform to that plan.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Good luck. Most babies don't have schedules or just when you think they do it changes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• our schedule finally started working at 3 months! but until then we just took turns at night and made it work! she is up at 9am eats and plays then nap at 11-1 then eat and play until 3 then nap until 5 then eat play until 9ish then bed time! her nap times change if she is teething or just being a cranker butt! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 8:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks (up to 12 hours by 9 weeks) but no distinct daytime pattern until closer to 8 mo. or so. My son didn't start sleeping all the way through the night until 7 mo. but had a distinct daytime pattern around 5 mo. So...every kid is different. I think your best chance at a solid pattern is to have a distinct bedtime routine (bath, breast, bed) and do it at the same time every night and hope the rest falls into place. Good Luck. Its really hard in the beginning.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 18, 2010