Do you think your homeschooled child is allowed to grow up at his/her own pace, because he/she is not influenced by kids in their peer group?

Twelve-year olds having oral sex in the bathrooms, teens "sexting", having babies, dating at thirteen, etc. Preteens allowed to wear tight, low-cut clothing, cursing, using drugs, talking back to parents. Are homeschooled children less likely to be involved in such foolish behavior because their parents are more involved in their lives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is less likely but not necessarily guaranteed. Homeschooled children tend to grow up learning to socialize with people of all ages, and homeschooling parents use this as a "hands-on" way of learning what is proper and improper. In a public school setting, kids learn to socialize mostly with just their own age group, and there is very little "hands on" influence from the parents. Children learn that this sort of behavior is okay amongst their own age group, and their teachers are instructed to be laissez-faire about it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on how involved the parents are no matter whether the child is home schooled or otherwise... We monitor everything our 14 yr old son does, and he's in public school. He doesn't have a cell phone, doesn't go out on weekends unless there's a parent with them, and has responsibilties at home. We're considered strict parents, but it works for us...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son is homeschooled and he is very much an active part of the world. We don't keep him locked in the house and he is not sheltered. We talk about everything, openly and honestly, without hidden agenda.

Any child can get into trouble, no matter where they attend school. However, IMO, the supervision is much better at home than in a public school.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• open communication with your child and education (about sex, drugs, peer pressure).
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• As a homeschooling parent I think it's naive and stupid to think your child can never be exposed to peer pressure regarding drugs, sex, drinking, porn, etc. Schooling does not stop those things. Being "homeschool" does not stop those things. Every child regardless of their schooling has to face those kinds of pressures. Perhaps a homeschooling child may be a few years delayed in those exposures, but they still exist and rear their ugly head, especially in the teen years!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think that as a parent , if you are a good enough role model that would not be an issue!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Home school children have just as much or as little opportunity to get into those things as any other child. They aren't shut off from the world! They go to activities, sports, watch t.v. listen to the radio, have friends and friends of friends... It not about schooling it's about parental supervision, guidance, relationship and the child's personality. Just because I'm not at my child's school all day doesn't mean that he or she will not have the knowledge to make good choices.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes but i would think that once they were ever let leave the home and venture out they will wreak total havic...bc they will feel they have been sheltered...i have a 13yr old and believe me its not easy i do my very best to talk to her about all kinds of things and if shes concerned she will come to me and ask..i was asked about crabs this past yr, and several other subjects..i never lie to her and i tell her the truth no matter the subject...i think kids will be exposed either way
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 3:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was homeschooled, constantly supervised, not permitted to choose my own clothing, only allowed to associate with people from church- Yet somehow I managed to become a mother at the tender age of 16. Parent involvement and complete control are two very different things.

Just because children are not permitted to associate with their peer group, does NOT mean that they will be more mature- frankly, it means that they will be socially inept.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There's a difference between homeschooling and sheltering IMO. If you never let your child leave your house, maybe they will go nuts with behavior when they are adults. I think only wanting to protect them from those negative things shouldn't be the only reason you decide to homeschool. It should be about being available and willing to give your child a better education than you think public school can. Certainly sheltering might be part of it. When I went to middle school, I saw people getting arrested, heard of my peers having different kinds of sex, read dirty rhymes, saw drugs, etc. I live in rural suburbia! So, I want my child to be involved in activities with her peers as a homeschooled child, and some of that may involve her learning things and doing things maybe I wouldn't want to think of a child doing, but school seems to bring in a lot more deviance by its size and nature. I think the best defense is...
    Bellarose0212