How old were or will your kids be when you start the sex talks?

or what will make you start to have them with your children if you don't have a age in mind.

whoreallycares

Asked by whoreallycares at 3:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• He was 10 when I really laid it all out on the table for him. He knows as much or more than I know now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my daughter is in first grade and has questions because of what her classmates tell her....last year it was santa claus questions this year its sex...omg...so i cant wait to see the answers to this post..
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 3:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My mother gave ME the sex talk when I was about 12 it was right before I started my period, but I am guessing the sex talk is probably needed at a much younger age these days!
    AshelyLady

Answer by AshelyLady at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Before they start showing those sex ed videos in school
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i got the sex talk when i was 7 because i came home asking questions.i got the full thing when i was 10 tho my mom always answered any questions i had about any thing sex drugs ect. she said she would rather have to tell me then me go and find out what it is
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 10 years old, and it's an ongoing conversation. He's 14 now, and I will continue talking until he's out on his own. Same goes for our 2 younger boys..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yeah...I talked a little before and tons after too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I guess I started teaching my daughter about sexuality right away, meaning right after birth.

My parents never informed me of anything and I never knew what sex was until I was 15, and when I got my period, I thought I was seriously ill.

With my daughter, who is now 19 months, I am not getting into details about anything. I just talk to her about the differences between boys and girls. If she is in the bathroom with me during my period, I tell her what is going on...etc...

Of course she may not know what I am talking about but I just want open communication with her as she grows older and if I talk to her about the facts of life as they arise, then hopefully she will be properly educated and not rely on what a grade school playmate tells her.
    superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• it is not one single talk, but a series of small ones through the course of their lives, providing them with necessary and helpful information to their questions, in an age appropriate format.

It begins the moment they ask a question regarding differences in sexual organs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with the poster who said "it's not a single talk"... we've been teaching our children since they were itty bitty... when ds asked about dd not having having the same parts as he did we explained why they were different. So there is no question now.. the boy already knows... later on I'm sure we'll have more talks about sex and tell them to wait till they are married to do anything, giving very good reasons to do so as well.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 3:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010