When to add cereal to formula?

My daughter is 2 months old. She is formula fed and usually eats up to 6 ounces at a time . Even with this amount and me burping her every ounce. (very angry little lady when she's burped) she always seems like she's still starving. My mother, aunt, and grandmother have all said I should start putting cereal in my bottles. Is this something okay for mo e to do on my own or should I talk to my pediatrician first?
Thank you for your help :)

AshelyLady

Asked by AshelyLady at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NEVER put it in their bottles. It is not good at all. Babies do not need cereal ever really. It is un-nutritional filler. Before age one you baby mostly needs formula and hardly any food except to try later on. She needs nothing but formula until 6 months. And then, if she is sitting alone and can pick up food, give her chunks of avocado, sweet potato and banana. Skip nasty cereal and jars altogether.

http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• This is something they used to do. It doesn't really help at all. Believe me, my mother, MIL and aunt had me doing it for my first. It just creates constipation and other problems. It's best to wait until 5 months and feed formula with a spoon.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You should NEVER put cereal in a bottle. period.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• NEVER put cereal in a bottle! The baby can choke on it.

If you feel that your little one is ready for cereal, it should be spoon-fed to her. I think two months is a little young, though. My doctor doesn't recommend cereal until four months. If you're concerned that your daughter is not getting enough from just formula, you should consult your pediatrician and see if she is ready for rice cereal.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• only put cereal in a bottle on the advice of your ped for an issue like reflux. 2 mo old tummies are not able to handle cereal, and adding it to a bottle is a choking hazard
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If you ask any doctor they will say don't do this. If I was you I cut that amount down and then up the amount of times you give it to her. You should feed her every 2-3 hours but give her 3oz and then give it every 1-2 hours so she isn't having a large amour at one time and she will feel week feed throughout the day. This however is only a suggestion.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Honestly I had several doctors tell me different things...some doctors said 4 months and some said 6 months and some said a year....some doctors say dont do it because they can later develop food allergies...either way everyone parent their children differently so either option u choose someone is going to have something negative to say about it and try to force their opinions on you....i put mixed cereal in her formula and she is 6 years old perfectly healthy never even had an ear infection....
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Cereal in bottles or even off a spoon too early will mess up their bellies bad. It is old bad advice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• its not like you are loading the bottle up with cereal u put like 1 tsp per 8 oz...babies can choke on milk alone without cereal in it...
    missthang42001

Answer by missthang42001 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It isn't and ear infection we're trying to avoid. It's IBS like my son has and I have.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010