Why did you get married?

Was it for religious reasons? medical? legal? If it was for some personal belief, please explain specifically.

I ask because I have been married and I dont feel that it is something particularly important to me. My SO of 4 years feels the same way. We are committed to one another for life, but I'm not sure we will ever get married because honestly neither of us really see the point.

LoriaAnn

Asked by LoriaAnn at 3:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• It was our way of celebrating our love for each other ,and making the ultimate commitment to each other. It didn't have anything to do with a piece of paper, it had everything to do with being sprititually connected to each other and becoming one in our relationship.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• SO and I have been together for 3 years. We have talked about marrage but are happy as we are: "life-long partners". I'd like to be married oneday, but I am happy and our son is happy!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I got married because i wanted to be his wife. I wanted to make a life time commitment in front of God and our family to spend the rest of our lives together. I believe that in relationships you go through stages. We started off as boyfriend and girlfriend and as time went by we wanted to become husband and wife and start a family.
    Queen2245

Answer by Queen2245 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• because i loved him
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Like you I have been married before and I married the first time because of "love" aka being young and dumb...

I swore that I would never marry again because it was just a legal contract. Well I did marry again and this relationship is great and all, but we married for insurance purposes. It is much cheaper to pay for one family insurance than two family insurances. (he has a kid from his 1st marriage, and we have a child together)

He also felt the same way towards marrying again, but money talks :/

superclutz

Answer by superclutz at 3:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• For me it just felt  [feels]  like it was more of a 'real' commitment. I liked saying and promising those vows to one another. I must admit that I do have an old fashion side to me and I am proud to say "this man is 'mine' or I am 'his'". I'm pretty sappy -so for me, I just like knowing that that our relationship meant enough for him to make that commitment to me after he was married before and never thought he'd do it again- but that changed when he met me.

roseisrose

Answer by roseisrose at 3:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• it wasn't for legal, religious or any other reason except that my husband and i wanted to be married to each other, felt compelled to make that commitment to each other.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Because I loved him and wanted to call him my husband. It did mean a lot to me, and even though we are now divorced, it took our relationship to a different level.
    kimbob2284

Answer by kimbob2284 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It was as much for our kids as for us, in blending our families we wanted them to understand that this was a permanent family unit. We knew pretty much immediately that we were each other's perfect partners and I don't think we would have felt the need for a ceremony or piece of paper to prove that. But I think it helped our children to adjust to our blended family to know that we were married and it was official.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My dh and I are both atheists, so it wasn't for religious reasons and we have universal health care so it wasn't for medical reasons.  To be honest, I never really considered the legal implications beyond the inconvenience of having everything changed over to my married name.  But we are in the stage of our lives now where we are watching our parents age and we have lost two of them in the last 2 years and I have to say that the legalities of marriage really come into play during this time. 

The plain and simple truth is that I married because I was head over heels in love and it was what I wanted to do.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010