Baby Taken from Violent Mother During Flight

Authorities on the ground say they were contacted while the plane was en route after flight attendants and passengers say they witnessed a distraught mother trying to calm her screaming one-year old child. The mother had reportedly slapped the child. That’s when the flight attendant immediately grabbed the baby away from its parents.

Rita Hoffmann, another passenger on the Southwest flight, disagrees. “I would just maybe, you know, [ask] ‘Can we help you?’ or something like that, that would be more courteous, and understand the mother was tired.”

Police took the child into their custody at the gate, performed a welfare check and determined there were no signs of any physical abuse. After police questioned the couple, the flight attendant, and witnesses, the child was returned to the parents who were not cited.

What do you think of this?? Right? Wrong? What would you have done??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would have done that to,taken the child away. I don't care how tired u r!! U don't slap a child!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think that something should have been done, and that it was right for the police to be there when they got off but I don't think it was the flight attendant's place to physically take the child from the mother. She's not the police.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Someone should have made an effort to help the mom and not just take the kid away.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 3:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I read the whole story and seems to me as you see the mom coming unraveled you could have helped. OFFERED to help before it spun out of control. We have ALL been there. In a public place, exhausted, juggling 14 things, child exhausted and acting out of control while people stand around making snap judgments of your parenting and adding to your stress!!! Just think...If ONE person on that ENTIRE plane had offered to take the baby for a minute or two..just ONE. Maybe the situation could have been different. None of us are perfect parents.

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• A mother who slaps her child ...in public...must not care what anyone thinks and has no idea how to raise a child. I am glad they took the baby away from her. She is just not a good mother, in my opinion.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, I think it depends. They say the mother "slapped" the child. Was this a harsh slap to the face? A slap on the diapered bottom? They need to be more precise about that.
    Imagine a plane full of people and your one year old is acting horribly, out of control.Will not sit.It IS frustrating.
    Yeah, if the mother really like slapped the kid across the face or something..then I think it was appropriate for the flight attendant to take control.
    But I'll tell you what...if I was the mother in that situation and in an effort to control my child I popped her diapered behind to get her attention and someone was to come and just take her from me...I'd be slapping that someone.For real.
    Thats just my opinion.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would much rather a child be taken for nothing and returned right back to it's parents than have an abusive situation ignored. That said, it was still not the flight attendant's place to take the child and she should be cited for that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The kid kicked her and her knee jerk reaction was to slap her face. I may accidentally have done it if I was kicked. I don't make a point of slapping my toddler. Who knows?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Here's another news article about this same thing....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38739441/?gt1=43001
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 3:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010