My son is going threw terrible twos any suggestions on how to maintain his buttheadedness?..

Terrible twos

HappyLittleMom2

Asked by HappyLittleMom2 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just have LOTS of patience. I have a 2 yo little boy, he is DEFINATELY in his terrible 2's. But it's not as back as his older sister. She started them at, I swear, 9 months and is yet to full outgrow them at nearly 4. But she has gotten much better.

Watch him for triggers to tantrums and other bad behavior and try to redirect or otherwise stop the bad behavior before it starts. When you can't just breath and remember that they grow up fast and soon this too will be just a memory.

Good Luck.
    mama2my2girls

Answer by mama2my2girls at 3:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thank You i try to have the patience with him he is just all over the place i will try the looking for what triggers his fits hopefully i can square that away!!! i do hear boys are easier then girls lol thats what my mom has been telling me lol Thank you again for your advice i really appreciate it.
    HappyLittleMom2

Comment by HappyLittleMom2 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No problem. I don't buy the "boys are easier than girls" though. My oldest daughter was the easiest kid you ever saw. NEVER even had terrible 2's. I think that's why I had such a time with her sister, it was pay back. LOL
    mama2my2girls

Answer by mama2my2girls at 3:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i have the same issue with my son. my husband has no problem with him, i spoiled him when he was younger, so he just walked all over me , now i'm just starting to be able to handel my stress and anger issues and say no or walk away when he wants it but it can;t have it. Its hard to see your own child crying or wanting something and you can't just let it go !
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 4:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Stay calm. As frustrating as it is the more you get worked up or mad, the more he's going to test your buttons. So remain calm even when he's at his worst and the punishments are more likely to stick. Be consistant with the punishments that you put forth. Don't change them from day to day or even from week to week. Stick to the one that you have put forth and they will get the idea when they're in trouble. Don't give in. Never give in. The second you show your weakness your child will manipulate you like a little puppet. Stay strong and stand your ground. This will benefit you both in the short and long run. Another bit of advice is make sure he has well balanced meals and enough sleep during naps/night time. The reason for this is, that a lot of children tend to act up more when they're hungry or tired. So eliminating those from the situation can benefit you greatly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• let him pitch a fit
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010