Do you think that a 2 1/2 year old could be too smart for a pre preschool program?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• He may already know letters and numbers, but every kid will benefit from the social aspect, the listening to directions, getting in line, making projects he is proud of... all things that they need and will help him in the future.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Some can be. My son was. He talked like a freaking adult and hung out with his teachers. LOL He couldn't stand when the other kids didn't grasp what he was saying.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Depends on the curriculum to be honest.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i doubt it...... then again idk what a pre-preschool program is. headstart?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Not sure. Children are always learning. I say that it depends on the child.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm sure a 2 1/2 year old could already have far surpassed the level of 'academic' stuff covered in preschool, but I always thought that it was more for socialization.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think you can have a highly intelligent child that may need to go more for the social learning that takes place at preschools.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• academically... in a rare case it is a possibility, but not for socialization
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Depends...My 2.5 year old is not in a program but I worry she will be bored when she gets to pre-k in a few years. she can spell her name and is starting to write it (as best as a 2 yr old motor skills will allow), knows letter and numbers by sight, even out of order and talks like she is at least 3.5 or 4. She still confuses some colors and shapes but that stuff is sure to fix it's self in a few months time. I think the thing about pre-schools is that they tend to work with each child as an individual and work on there weaknesses and strengths as such.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Preschool is really about socialization with other kids. The academic stuff is incidental.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010