Is there something I can add to my cat's food to help relieve hairballs?

My cat has a terrible time with hairballs and I usually use hairball remedy from the tube. I am so tired of having to wrestle her to the ground to make her eat the stuff. Help!! Can I add something to her food on a daily basis so I don't have to force her anymore? Thanks.

LettinItBe

Asked by LettinItBe at 3:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• Purina One has a hairball formula food. I'm sure some of the other brands do, too. I've never used it, so I'm not sure how well it works.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I just use the tube stuff but my cat likes it.
    mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There are specific cat food brands out there that will help your cat alleviate it's hair balls when they eat the cat food.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You can try some canned pumpkin (not the pie filling kind). Or melted butter (but, not over a long period of time) Baby food squash (about a tea spoon) . You can also try sardines..and add one to his food.

Don't forget to brush the kitty at least three times a week. That will keep the stray hairs down to a minimum.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• way back when, when I was a cashier a farmers wife came into the store to buy liver( on sale great price) I asked her why so much liver....lol She said she cuts it into bite size pcs for her barn cats to help with hair balls....not sure if it works can't stand the feel or smell of liver so I never tried it.
    they also make a hairball formula in cat food, many brands make it.
    I have used the stuff in the tube myself. My one cat loves it the other one hates it, and the one that hates it is the one who I bought it for....baaaaaad hairballs.
    and real good brushing if not daily then at least weekly. I have also been know to shave my cat in the spring time
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We use IAMs. Even the long hair cats don't get hairballs.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 3:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes, they have treats called de-fur yummms. they work great. i also feed my cats iams active maturity with hairball care. that has prevented furballs 100%
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My cat LOVES the Science Diet cat food for hairballs. I found if I mix it with another brand(that is cheaper) it lasts longer and still works. Only problem I have now is my cat picks it out and will not eat the other brand.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I was going to say- Iams Cat Food- but, all of you mommy's have some Great Answers!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• i agree with the other mommies...
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2010