Is preschool more for socailizing and not learning very much?

noahsmommy12908

Asked by noahsmommy12908 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it really depends on the preschool you send the child too, I imagine they are all a little different. My children went to preschool to learn prior to kindergarten, it was very helpful, learning the alphabet, numbers, addition, subtraction, some science...I also believe its a good way to socialize as well and make friends that helps build skills for negotiating, sharing, communication, all around learning how to work with others. I'd suggest one that does teach a curiculum and is getting your child ready for Kindergarten, versus just social hours.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It also gets them use to a schedule and to follow rules.
    mommyfox03

Answer by mommyfox03 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I suppose that depends on what is being taught at home. My son would not have benefited educationally from preschool and I think there are better atmospheres for socialization.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes, but they do work on some things like alphabet, counting, etc. but mainly it is to get them used to a school environment
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• For my son, it was for that, and to learn to be without me and to follow a structured schedule. It was not to learn. He knew it already.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• it really depends on the program, my son learned lots in preschool, he was already well socialized before that
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it's to get them trained to be use to a classroom setting. I'm sure they learn something too. But I think that is the main purpose.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 3:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• it's a little bit of both. Both my kids leaned a lot at pre-school and the structure is similar to Kindergarten, except with more free play. The kindergarten teachers say the kids that go to preschool have an easier time adjusting to a school day. That has been my experience. But you shouldn't underestimate the power of play... kids learn alot from playing, especially when it  is out of their own home.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• my son is in day care. its kind off like preschool but in a home. and obviously just so we can work. My daycare provider is amazing. She helps keep him in a good boy and not crazy
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010