Do you think it's okay for people that receive food stamps or other PA to make monetary donations to charities?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 4:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If they have extra money that month, yes. If they constantly have enough money to donate a lot, I think it's pretty obvious that they can afford not to be on PA. I agree with OwlFeather, who said that it doesn't have to be money, though. You can donate all kinds of things.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• why not. . . even people who need charity have a heart to give charity. :)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Im on fs and i give to salvation army around christmas time....bless and will be blessed
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yes, I think of it as paying it forward
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• sure! giving back is always a nice thing to do. Everyone can do it. Doesnt even have to be money. I knitted some hats last winter and mailed them to a church who hands out food to the homeless.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think it's much more meaningful than someone who is wealthy contributing. It takes a big heart and truely generous spirit to give when you yourself have so little. For a wealthy person, it's pretty easy to give and doesn't take any toll on them, they have to give up nothing to do it
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 4:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• we are on FS and i have bought a couple extra bags of rice or dried beans or something that was onsale to donate to the food drive in our area... i don't see it as 'frivilous' because its only once in awhile and its usually something that would only cost us a few extra cents or something. That being said i totally completely agree with the PP who said its more meaningful coming from someone who has very little themselves. if i were worse off and had to rely on the food bank then i would hope others would have the generosity to donate.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:23 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes,
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• LOL you ask as if it's frivolous spending.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• What are we talking about 5 dollars here and there? 10? 100? I think if they hit a good week and can make a contribution and still be okay then that's a lovely gesture. If they are continually making large contributions then I would question (a) their need or (b) there ability to prioritize, like what was left unpaid or shorted.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010