What would you do.. ?

I am having so much trouble making this decision.

My husband has an interview with a truck driving company on Monday. It will require him to be away 5 days a week and only home on the weekends. However, we could really use the money. It pays $750-900 per WEEK and right now he is bringing in about $900 every two weeks so the money would def. make a difference.

How do I make a decision like this?
How do I make a choice that can require my husband to be gone all week and then only home for two days, and just for more money? =(

ugh!

Also there is a company that has 200 positions open for over $15 an hour and up. BUT it will cost $190 for the training. What if he did the truck driving until we get ills caught up and have the extra for him to pay for the training at this other job? I mean, he just got out of active duty army so I should be used to him being gone right?

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 4:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Money & Work

• Absence makes the heart grow fonder
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I also went through this with my hubby. We together made the decision that was best for our family. Weekends were so much more special than they ever were before and we got a lot closer as a family because on the weekends we actually wanted to be together and do things together.

It's a hard decision but you have to do what is best for your entire family.......not just what is best for you.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 4:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• easy. . . Military families make they kinda of decision all the time. Obviously you love your DH and want to see him often, but think back was there ever a time you could live and not be attached at the hip? *I am not trying to come off horrible or anything. . . so sorry if it appears so.* But IMHO it is a job for him. . .his decision. Your Opinions matter obviously but it is a call he should make. Whether the money is a go or more time with family. . . It is a trade off. . . what is more important to you and yours?. . . anyways it is not like you will never see him. . . you will have the weekends when he is not working. GL
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 4:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would say the truck driving job sounds mor elegit than having to pay for your own training. That just strikes me as something odd. Have you investigated that job on the BBB.org website?

Truckers have it kind of hard being in the trucks all the time and you are just getting him back to lose him again, but if it is what is needed to pay bills then let him do it. If he doesn't like it and the other job is legit then he can do as you said and try to train for it later.

Or, just a thought (not bashing) have you thought of working as well to help make ends meet and for him to be able to get a job where he is home every night? We work two jobs in my home and my children haven't suffered one bit going to daycare... they LOVEit! And I feel like I have an entirely new side of family because the people up there are so great! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Is he interested in going to college? My cousin got out of the Military and went in to college. With FAFSA, VA benfits and scholarships he is able to afford a family of four. All the money he gets pays for his college tuition, rent, food, everything. They even were able to buy a brand new 42in flat screen TV, and fully furnish their new home.
    And he can take online classes so he can stay at home. Not to discourage the trucking idea, but it is a dangerous job. And if he could qualify for FAFSA he could afford your living expenses for the next four years, and better his career. Its worth talking to him about it.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 4:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• well let him go do tht for mabe 5 yrs save. but remember its not about you anymore its about the kids cause i know its hard with the oldest hes going to need the fincial chushion the most! it will all work out
    mybeautyu

Answer by mybeautyu at 4:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We have made this sacrifice in the past. We did it, was stronger b/c of it.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Memigen: Yes we have both considered me going back to work, but our youngest is 7 months old and our oldest is almost 3 with severe disabilities, as well I am also in school full time. We ruled out me working a while ago.

Stenhouse Baby: I think he would like to go to school, but we were told to get money from the military to pay for school and housing he would have to attend 50% in class.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yeah, I guess it'd be good in the end. Just after 6 years of him being in the military and him still being in reserve I just don't want to willingly let him go when there are so many times I have to without an option.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010