How do you improve communication with your spouse?

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• I have a SO that hates communicating. He thinks I'm supposed to know everything about what he thinks and feels without him telling me! It's very frustrating at times but for me it's easier to send him brief yet concise emails. He's military and won't tolerate wordy emails. He's impatient and wants to just skim over things, but if I keep it short and to the point he replies. He is uncomfortable talking face to face about important things. So far this has worked for me. When we sit down to talk he won't respond so I stick with what seems to work for now!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:40 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• talk to him about what's on your mind, ask him more questions, kind of easier said than done, but i had to do it. tell him you feel you two don't talk so much anymore about anything.

Answer by enjen at 5:51 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• HA! My DH does great at communicating, unless it is something important that i need to discuss with him- I know this is going to sound bad, BUT when I want to talk to him and have him open minded- I fix him a drink- he doesn't drink a lot, but he knows if I hand him a cocktail by the end of it we will be discussing :) The key is I can NOT have a cocktail :) hehehe- but he just relaxes and his tongue loosens up a little- I NEVER try to talk about us or wanting more babies, or what I need in the relationship if he has had a bad day- I try to time it usually on a Saturday after the little one has gone to bed- give him a drink, and begin --it really works for us!

Answer by jessicasea at 10:53 AM on Jun. 30, 2008