carseat/booster question

Okay,I need to get either a carseat or a booster for my stepson but I dont know which one is required y law. He is 3 almost 4 years old. He's almost 40 inches tall and weighs about 40 pounds. Which one will be good for him?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This might likely differ by state.

Q7: When should a child be put into a booster?

Many convertible and forward-facing seats have 40 pound weight limits when using the harness. A convertible or forward-facing seat with a 5-point harness is the safest option for children from 30-40 pounds who are not too tall for their forward-facing carseat. If a child's shoulders are above the level of the top slots in their regular carseat, or the tops of their ears are above the top of the shell, then they may be able to move to a booster or another forward-facing seat which accommodates taller children. Usually a child can be moved to a booster when they are too big for a harnessed carseat, and once they are able to sit properly in a seatbelt. A child should be in some type of booster seat until around 8 years old, unless they are already 4' 9" tall (Also see Question 9 below).
    http://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q7
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• a higher harnessing car seat is the safest choice. I would recommend the graco nautilus, it harnesses to 65 lbs then converts to a high back then backless booster
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catid=10:41||1+10434:4294959424||1

The Graco Nautilus sounds awesome. He can ride in the 5 point harness until 65lbs, then, use the seatbelt up to 100lbs.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would harness they have seat that harness to 85lbs now! Then turn into a booster.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well, since they have to be in one (at least in our state) until they are 8 years old, I get the one that he can fit into now with lots of growing room.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Booster.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 4:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Peanutsmommy1: LOL we think alike.
    BradenIsMySon

• I went to Wal-Mart and they have a fantasticseat that is a mixture of both really. It still has the five point harnes system that carseats use (and that I feel is safest), but it is less like a carseat and more of a "big boy" seat. My daughter is almost five and she is super tall so she outgrew her carseat quickly and I though this seat was great!
    Here is the link to what I got her and in the store they have a boys type (it is plaid at my local store): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Polka-Dot-Posies/10759857
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That one doesn't hold them as long.
    BradenIsMySon