Got poop? Apparently not him. adult content

My son is doing #1 in the potty, but not #2...and actually he hasn't done it all in probably the last 3 days. I know that can be pretty normal for kids when they are potty training. Should I wait it out or give him something to make him go? Not sure why he's holding it in, unless he's just decided he doesn't want to make a mess. He gets stickers for going potty, so I'm going to get him some M&Ms to encourage him to do #2. But any other advice would be great.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The longer you wait, the more impacted he will become and it will be excessively painful (and a bit traumatizing). Add some ground flax to his food, and offer him fresh fruit like grapes, plum/pluot/peach, or lots of melon. There is no need to give him a stimulant laxative.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• no milk or dairy
    and plenty of apple juice
    prune if he is the only child who will drink it

HE'LL go !
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would wait a few more days. If he isn't showing signs of pain he is likely fine. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:36 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with no milk or dairy except kefir. You could try Kellogg's Fiber bars, oatmeal, or high fiber cereal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know it doesn't help right now, but we got my son the book "Everyone Poops." It talks about how animals do it, and so do people, some in diapers, some on toilets. It's one of Patrick's favorite books, and we haven't had any pooping issues during PT'ing. Good luck!
    mrs3stan

Answer by mrs3stan at 4:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• give him little 5$ toys each time he gos #2 take away a toy each time he gos in hes pants
    rave78

Answer by rave78 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Ok, no more milk the rest of the day and I'll tell DH not to give him any tomorrow. I have fiber bars, cereal and oatmeal too, so I'll give him that (may have to put in a little milk with the cereal, he won't eat it without, but I'll just put in a small amount).
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 4:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Just an update...he's pooped twice since posting this. Not in the potty yet, but we'll get there, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Comment by thatgirl70 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2010