What Are Signs that a Child has Been Sexually Abused? adult content

To make a long story short, i went today to see my son's doctor and told him some of the things my son has been saying and doing. HGe was very concerned and is trying to help me find a counselor/physcologist to see. I don't want to question him myself a lot because he is almost 5 and he gets confused easily. I am just sick to my stomach that somehting may have happened to him. I am asking you ladies because i have no one else to ask. I was abused between ages 8 and 11 and my parents didn't believe me. Anyways, I am just trying to see if i notice anything unusual that may be a sign of something. In the meantime, he and his brothers are not going anywhere without me or DH. I am not going to take any chances. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If your doctor is concerned then i'm so sorry that you and your son are going through this! :( doctors are trained to spot these things... (((((BIG HUGS))))) :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 4:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Thanks! I am just so shocked and upset. He is only 4. This shouldn't happen to anyone especially a child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Late potty training is one of them. If a child is over 5 and is still wetting the bed that could be a sign.

Inappropriate play with dolls or interactions with human beings.

Knowing more than normal about sex and private parts.

Bruising/bleeding rectally and vaginally.

Hymen torn.

Foul odors from genitals.

Signs of exhaustion/lack of sleep.

Nightmares.

Uncommon fears with shedding clothing, going to the bathroom, or just being naked around every day family members.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am trying to think of more. I am sure you could Google and find out any information you need. Just be very careful and keep your son with you at all times. Do not trust a sitter, male or female, until this can get resolved. Make sure and offer him PLENTY of support and hugs during this battle. GL!

Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I think a situation like you described is one of my biggest fears for my son. My suggestion just from everything I have ever heard about abused children is look for any abnormal behavior and just tell him anything that you might have needed to hear back when you were suffering abuse... Let him know mommy is always there for him and there is nothing he can't tell you....that you will always believe him. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.
    ShannonLeighM

Answer by ShannonLeighM at 5:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Listen to your child's doctor and get him pediatric psychological support ASAP! Since you had a similar experience you truly understand the enormity of the situation. Your are a great mom for listen and seeking help immediately and you will both get through this. BIG HUG!! If you need anyone to talk to message me.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes i think you know your son more than anybody and well their some obvious things like the ones that glamourina mentioned all those can be but you know your mon more and any little thing you have seen him change maybe he doesnt interact or talk as much if he doesnt want to be alone or something even the way he plays or the way he is can point to something just think of something he has changed or something. i really hope nothing happen to him because i know that is somethign hard to go through i was raped when i was 12 and its a vry bad experience. but make sure he goes to that counceling thing that can help him a lot and best wishes for your son and your family i hope everythign resolves
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2010

• if you're concerned its something that needs to be looked into...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:59 PM on Aug. 30, 2010