If they made a hormonla birth control for men would you be just as gun ho to start your son on it at 14?

I notice a lot questions about teens and BC today and it got me thinking. Why are we so in a hurry to put hormones into our daughters not knowing if they even need them. That's my opinion though. I was wondering if it would be the same for boys were it an option. A daily hormonal pill to make them 'shoot blanks'

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:55 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• like all the others here, i would not give hormone birth control to sons or daughters.
    i would not give the hpv vaccine to girls or boys either.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I have two boys and the answer is no, unless there was a reason for it. While I want them to be protected from STD's as well as getting someone pregnant - my boys know about condoms and in fact I've placed jar in the living room for them to have access to them without having to buy them at the store - so I don't ever want to hear they didn't have it if they were to need it.
    If I had a girl I would feel the same.
    If it was something that was necessary I would consider it, but otherwise no way.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm not a fan of hormones - I tried putting off hormonal BC as long as I could for myself. But after my 3rd baby, something had to be done.

Honestly, even if the teens are on hormonal BC, they still need to be using condoms! BC doesn't protect from all the diseases out there!
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nope, I am not "gung ho" to put hormones into my daughter either. It is disturbing, really.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Would I for my sons?? NO! I have 20 yr old twins, a 13 yr old son also. I also have a 15 year old daughter. While we emphasize abstinence in our house, we have also emphasized the use of CONDOMS as that is the best way to both prevent pregnancy AND STDs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would not, but I also answered that I would not give it to my daughter either.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• wow, I so mistyped hormonal.. lol
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Absolutely I would. But I'm sure this stems from the fact that DH was taken advantage of at the young age of 13 by a 17yo babysitter. My boys are going to grow up thinking girls have cooties!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No and I wouldn't if I had a daughter either.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 5:48 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Not to be off-topic but I'm not even sure I want my girls to start hormonal bc. If I find out they are having sex, then they will go on birth control. And I plan on keeping them educated on sex and protection (from STDs and pregnancy) but I wouldn't just put either of them on it without them having sex.
    Also if I thought my son was having sex, I'd put him on it. I don't like hormonal bc though so I don't know.
    I wish they had male BC then my husband could be on it. LOL
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 3:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2010