how or what did you do to take your sons paci away?

i have tried so many times but i guess i just havnt put to much into it but i need ideas because i think my son is getting way to old for his paci his 2 and he doesnt have it durng the day at all or anything but to sleep and nap time he needs to have it with him or he wont go to sleep i mean he i will scream all night long

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's mean to take pacifiers away. You use them when it benefits you and take them away before the kid is ready to give them up. What's up with that? They don't cause any harm until 3 or 4 or maybe older.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• WIC people are full of crap. They are not doctors. You do what you feel is right and discuss the options with is doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We cut it and put all the other ones away. It was hard for a little bit but they get used to it. We gave them stuffed animals and a blanket to hold on to as we put them to sleep.
    M4LG5

Answer by M4LG5 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son just stopped taking his when he was about 9 months old.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son just stopped this week (hes almost 7mo) . I didn't mean to but I put him to a nap w/o it on Mon and since then he hasn't used at nap time and last night he didn't take it either. Which is really good because there is only one left in the house lol.
    Try taking it away for a week only at nap time (or only first nap if he still takes more than one). Then see if you can get him to give it up at night.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Um, just don't tell WIC that he's still taking it. It's not like they're gonna come to your house to make sure you got rid of it.
    jess_buckley

Answer by jess_buckley at 5:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My son never took a pacifier, but I would have done it just like I did the bottle. Take it away and don't give it back.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I just took it away when he turned two.

Now, I believe differently. I will not take it away. I will let them give it up on their own. It is a comforting tool and most kids give it up voluntarily before age 5. And 5 years is a small amount of time in a whole lifetime. If by 5, they still haven't, then at least they are old enough to understand why you are taking it away.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:19 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I told him that if gave all of his binkies to the Binky Fairy that he would get whatever toy he wanted so he agreed and we went to Toys R Us and he picked a toy and then gave his binkies to the Binky Fairy (the cashier). The cashier did a pretty good job of playing along. He never used a binky again. Only problem was whenever he found one he tried to use it as currency for toys.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• for my first son i just took it away. he did great.
    my twins are almost 2 1/2, and they seem more attached than ever!
    i hope gaill is right about it not really being a problem until 3 or 4!!!
    i guess as long as they give them up before kindergarten? just kidding!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010