Half day or full day Kindergarten?

My daughter turned 5 three weeks before school started. I have my choice of full or half day. She is half for now. I feel that the kids are being pushed too much in school as it is, but I don't want her to fall behind of feel left out. They pretty much do play activities in the afternoon so she really isn't missing much. If she went full time she would only be home (and awake) about 4 hours after school. Not much time to spend together. Anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i say full day.... there is a lot of things that are expected of them. Unless you plan on teaching her things like how to spell her FULL name, her address, phone number, letters and how to identify them, how to count up to 100 by 1s 2s 5s & 10s.........yupp most schools say its mandatory that kids know those things and MUCH MUCH more before moving on to 1st grade. along with that they need to be social. they can hold children back for being shy!! as for spending time together.... unfortunately youll have to get use to it. its not the quantity of time its the quality...... make the most out of the time you have with her.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I think that it's one of those judgement calls & totally up 2 u, but I agree w/ full day. We chose full day bc it gets them used 2 the higher grades that r full day where as if she goes half day, when she starts 1st grade, she may have a hard x adjusting bc she's used 2 only being @ school 4 a short while. Our thoughts were that KG is overwhelming 2 begin w/ 4 some children. Where we live, 1 of the KG's was strictly KG students. We chose 2 send her 2 the same elemmentary school where her 2 older siblings r so she would b used 2 kids of all grades from & whole day KG from the beginning. Hope this helps!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My daughters school doesn't give us an option, it's just half day, and she does very well. She can spell her full name, she knows not only our phone number, but my mom's as well. She can count in English and in Spanish, and she's also learning some sign language, and she's only there for 4 hours out of the day. I would talk to her teacher and see how she's doing academically, and if she needs more time in the class room to improve her progress bump her up to the full-day program.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Talk to her teacher about it. My daughter is in half day, and her best friend is in full day. I was talking to her best friends mother the otherday and my daughter's class is already starting to read and is ahead of the full day class. Yes we have to work on tying her shoes at home, and work on writing anything her teacher says that she is having problems with, but that is the price I pay for her not being in full day.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 7:26 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• We've done both. My oldest did half-day kindergarten. She got on the bus at 11:30am and came home around 3:30pm. 20 minutes of the day was lunch and they had snack in the afternoon. I'm not sure how much time they actually spent learning but she was reading at a 2nd grade level by the end of the year.
    It was nice because we got to sleep in every day and I had 2 other kids at home and was pregnant most of the year.
    My middle 2 kids did/do full day kindy (7:50am-2:20pm). They spend a majority of the day playing and having fun. My 5yo is a little tired when she gets home but she loves school so much. I think full day also preps them for the longer days in 1st grade. My oldest had a hard time adjusting to getting up early in 1st grade and spending all day in a desk at school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:53 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son does full day Kindergarten and I think it's good for the kids. He's tired when he gets home but he is learning a lot throughout the day. I only get to spend 2 hours with him a day since I go to work at 6 and he gets home around 4 but I think it is better for him.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 8:37 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Its up to you. If you send her to half day, plan on spending a couple of hours every day teaching her what she's missing. She will be behind the kids who went full day if you don't. I wish our school dist had full day. I'm not a very good teacher and would rather spend my time enjoying my children. Homework and teaching is not quality time for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I think it depends on the child. My son went to half day kindergarten. He was intellectually ready for full day but emotionally he wasn't. He is in the first grade now and is in no way behind his peers who went to full day. In fact he is in advanced reading and Math (goes to a second grade class for both.) I guess to answer your question all kids are different and you need to fallow your gut as to what will work best for you and your child. My daughter who will be starting school next year will be going to full day. She unlike her brother is in my opinion ready for full day where he wasn't. Honestly it depends on the child I have two very different children personality wise in the same family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Head Start, PreK, and K are full day here. Maybe kids are being pushed but, children are capable of learning the things they are being taught.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:07 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My son will turn 5 at the end of October and he is doing full day kindergarten. He goes 2 days a week all day. He is on the younger end of kindergarteners and it worried me if he would be able to handle it. Fortunately, he loves it and wishes he could go 5 days a week like his brother! You need to do whatever works best for you and your child. Good luck!
    CRIS4477

Answer by CRIS4477 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008