What are some questions I should ask on my hospital tour?

I have my individual hospital tour scheduled for the 30th and I am wondering what things I should ask about while I'm there. This is my first baby, so I'm new to this and naturally pretty clueless lol Thanks ahead of time! : )

jazi1105

Asked by jazi1105 at 5:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would want to know the hospital's c-section rate and how respectful they are of the Mother's birth plan.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• 1. Where do we park on delivery day? 2. Do we check into the ER or go straight to Labor and Delivery after hours? 3. What is the procedure for checking in? 4. Can we preregister? 5. How many people are allowed into the labor and delivery room? 6. Where is the nursery? 7. What security measures are in place for the maternity ward? Are there security armbands? How do you identify the people who are allowed to take the baby? 8. What is the hospital’s policies of birth plans?What are the hospital's policies on pacifiers, formula and sugar water? 9. What are the visiting hours?10. Where is the cafeteria? 11. What is the process for ordering food? 12. Where is the snack machine? 13. What should I pack in my bag? Mom Clothes: What to wear during labor and delivery?What can I wear afterward? Do I need nursing specific clothes? Clothes to leave in?Baby clothes for the stay and to go home?Other Baby items?Food/Snacks? Sanitary items?
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• cont...

14. What is the hospital's policy for constant electronic fetal monitoring?
    15. What is the hospital's policy for having food or drinks during labor?
    16. What is the hospital's policy in regards to walking around during labor?
    17. What is the hospital's IV policy?
    18. What are my labor options?
    Are there tubs or showers that I can labor in?
    19. What pain mgmt medications are available? And how is each administered? Also what are the effects of each?
    20. Is there a doula or anesthesiologist on staff?
    21. What other amenities are available?
    22. What are the hospital's epidural and c-section rates?
    23. What is the hospital's NICU level?
    24. What are the hospital's rooming-in policies and procedures?
    25. When will my baby be taken out of the room, if baby has to be removed from the room?
    26. Are there private rooms available?
    27. What do the labor rooms look like?
    2
    Katt709

• I felt the same way, but I went to a group tour so I let them do lots of the questions lol. I also found that the tour guide had lots of information already. I wanted to know if someone would be able to be with my baby at all times. If there was a limit on people allowed in the room, what I needed to bring, what I didn't need to bring. I liked knowing that I can walk the halls, that there is a bath I can use in the room if I want to labor in it, that they have a labor ball, etc. I didn't even think to ask if I would get to hold the baby as soon as she's born, and they actually told me that they encourage skin to skin contact to heat the baby up after she's born which I didn't even realize was allowed lol. If I had to do it again I'd look up decisions you need to make about your birth so I knew more what I needed to know, maybe making a birth plan before you go in would help.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• cont again

28. Where are the triage rooms?
    29. Will a transfer to another hospital be necessary if there is an emergency? If so which hospital?
    30. Can cell phones be used in the delivery room? Do we need a calling card?
    31. When will they give my baby eye ointment and vitamin K shots? Are these required by law?
    32. Where should visitors park after my baby is born?
    33. Are video cameras/still cameras allowed during before, during or after birth?
    34. If I want to shower or have time alone, can my baby go to the nursery?
    35. When will we move to a recovery room? What do those rooms look like?
    36. Is there a lactation consultant on staff?
    37. When do you do car-seat checks?
    38. What is the checkout procedure? And appx how long will baby and mom be in hospital? Is that length required?
    39. This is our birth plan, is there going to be objection to it?

I got this from somewhere - but I
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Ask what their visitor policy is, if you will be allowed to keep your baby in your room with you (if that's what you want)... umm, meal policy (I have a reason for this, LOL), security precautions.... and I know probably a lot of medical questions that I can't think of right now.

Visitor policy I say so you can have a little bit of control of who comes in and out of your room. If I could do it all over again, there would have been a big sign on my door that stated "UNLESS YOU ARE FAMILY OR FRIENDS OR ATTENDING TO MY IMMEDIATE CARE, KEEP YOUR BUTT OUT OF THIS ROOM!" (LOL). Baby in room: The first hospital I went to, where I had intended to give birth told me I could not keep him in the room with me, he'd have to stay in the nursery. That was an absolute deal-breaker for me. The nurse had an attitude about it too. I walked out of that hospital furious and went over to the hospital next door (more...)
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Man I should have asked that question on here before going it, Katt709 has a lot of good questions. Luckily I got the answers to most of these in my tour and I feel so much more comfortable knowing the answers and I didn't even know I needed to know them lol.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 5:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ...where they had a more mommy friendly policy. The meal thing... because the 3 days I was there, my DH hardly had anything to eat at all. They had a Subway, but he didn't like dealing with them because the service was rude. I had no idea at all that I could have ordered extra for him (from the cafeteria) and I felt so bad for him. He didn't want to leave the hospital (he did once to take a shower and to take care of the animals) because it was hard to get a good parking spot.

Now most of all I think Katt709 has a great list. I'd vote her for Best Answer if this was my question. ;)
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Aww thanks thatgirl70! I got them from somewhere and I was trying to find the source but I cant seem to. Oh well -just know I can't take credit for them!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• can their be photography or videography during the birth?
    do they consent for baby shots, or just wait for mom to say no?
    are you free to walk around?
    what is the monitoring policy? (you don't have to be monitored if you don't want to be, unless you get an epi)
    is there a lactation consultant available? (if you plan to bfed) what are their hours? usually, nurses are pretty clueless when it comes to nursing.
    if you're having a boy and plan to circ, can i stay while he's getting circ'd?
    ask if they give the first bath or if you can.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2010