Kaplan University (for current or prior students)

What is your opinion? I have heard so many bad things and I am currently attending my second term but I am so afraid of continuing.

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 5:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in

• My husband recently starting teaching there. He teaches at other colleges as well. He has expressed frustration because, in his words, "Kapaln caters to the students as if they were 3 year olds; you very much have to hold everybody's hands". From the student perspective, perhaps the folks enrolled there need that but we are making college plans for our own son and simply cannot imagine that kind of school atmosphere for him.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It's best to attend state schools and community colleges are cheapest. There are lots of online classes and degree programs offered by state colleges and universities. For profit colleges take your money and your degree may be worthless. You may not be able to transfer credits or get a job.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with Gailll, but as far as online schools goes Kaplan is an accredited school, which is a good thing
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well Kaplan is accredited BUT only regionally not nationally, which of course they never tell you that, and I have heard from graduates that they couldn't even get a job because while they are accredited they do not offer approved courses.

My biggest thing is I want to be in the medical field, but my lo is only 7 months and I can't stand being away from him right now. I thought about doing general studies at Ivy Tech Community College online for awhile and then when lo is a little older moving to in class school for medical school. But wouldn't General Studies be pointless?
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010