Pulse Ox

Are you pregnant? I just wanted to let all Mothers know that if you have a new baby, it is so important to have the Hospital do a Pulse Ox test on them before you leave the hospital. A Pulse ox is a simple test that could be done at the hospital and could potentially save a life. My Daughter was born with a Congenital Heart Defect and if they would have done a pulse ox on her, they may have caught it if they would have done a pulse ox before we left the hospital. However, they did not. At four years old she had to have Emergency Open Heart Sugery and it was the scariest thing that I have ever been though. Please, Please just ask the staff to do a pulse ox on your Baby beofr eyou leave the hospital. Too many Dr's will tell you that they hear a murmur but that the baby will outgrow it. Low Oxygen leves could prove that is not so. I hope you will take my advice and do this, to protect your child.

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 5:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm having a homebirth and it will be done.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 5:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Its routine to do them here

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• It is just now becoming routine to do them. That is from all of us CHD Families making such a big fuss about it. It is so important and I am so glad to read that it is routine there. I hope that it will eventually be routine everywhere.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I am an Nicu nurse (30 years) and have never heard of routine PO checks, prior to d/c on kids in the well nursery. In our facility, any pt with a murmur would be referred and assessed by the neonatology group, and many end up being transferred to our unit. However, not all CH conditions present with oxygenation issues-many are ductal dependent, so a PO would  tell you very little in terms of cardiac conditon, as long as that ductal communication were present . Lastly, in many infants a PDA (necessary communication needed for ductal dependent conditions) does not fully close for many, many days, so again the PO would not be able to p/u a problem with these kids either. A piece of hardware will never tell you what looking/listening with trained eyes and ears will. The only way to truly r/o CHD is with an ECHO, EKG and in some cases, a trip to the Cath Lab.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Unless something has changed in the last year, research doesn't support routine pulse ox tests. In 2009 the American Heart Ass and the APA didn't recommend the test. The test only has a predictive value of 47%. The OP need not feel bad that her daughter didn't have the test as a newborn.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/GeneralPediatrics/14983

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• A PO test will not always detect the issue, no, but it can help in detecting it.

I do understand that there are PDA'S that take time to close, but I think that's an excuse that gets used WAY too often in misdetecting Children's CHD'S. If you hear any kind of mumur, it shouldn't be assumed that it is from a PDA that has not closed but instead there should be a referal to a cardiologist for tests. Had this happened for my Daugther, things would not have got so bad before her CHD was found. The only reason it was found is because this MAMA went on a rampage and told them something was wrong. I was sick of hearing, well let's give it a little longer to close. It wasn't even a PDA afterall....it was an emergent issue and THANK GOD he gave me the mommy sense/instinct to know that something was not right.

CHD Is the number one killer of infants/children. They kill way more children than Cancer or any other issue.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would be glad to share information with anyone who is looking for it. I am not a nurse (though my Mother in law is in the Newborn/Nicu nursery) so we have done a lot of this research together, but I am the Mother of a CHD child and I have been down this road. It is very scary and if I can say/share anything that helps anyone to find out about this right away and help their child, then it is more than worth it.
    hsmominky

Comment by hsmominky (original poster) at 5:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010