What do you think about this? Is Obama vindictive?

This was wrong and there is no two ways about it.
So, Florida is getting millions of dollars for Nasa and it's employees to help in different ways (retraining etc)since he cut much of the program and caused many layoffs.
Do you think it is appropriate to neglect t to give the Nasa employees in TX any money? The 2 work together as one and many jobs have been lost but the TX Nasa gets zip, Nada, Nuthin.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If there is a project in one state that needs funding, there's no reason for another state to get the same funding if they have no project.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I like you:)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 5:46 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Steph, where is the money coming from? Did it have to be requested? Stimulus funding had to be requested through a grant process. How was the funding awarded to Florida? Was there a grant process for its department of employment development? Did Texas go through such a process and get rejected? If the answer to this is YES, then Texas is indeed being treated unfairly. However, I seem to recall that there are states that did not apply for stimulus grant money. If my memory is serving, and if Texas did NOT fulfill requirements for grants... then the state is NOT being treated unfairly.

Need more info about the nature of this money in Florida.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If you've got a link it would help...

• He should make sure he does for TX as he is for FL.
    countryspun

Answer by countryspun at 5:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...since he won in Florida, and not in Texas, that that has SOMETHING to do with it!! Yeah, I believe he IS that transparent!! LOL :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with Lori, its the you didn't like me, so you don't get any! Nanannybooboo crap. And it wouldn't be wise to say that's far fetched since I recently read by a cmer that Bush didn't help Katrina victims because they didn't vote for him.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• However, Texas has received the second highest amount of stimulus grants in the nation, only following California.

http://www.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx

If one was trying to be vindictive, then one would deny all those requests for Texas and all the red states. However, every single red state got stimulus funding in some amount.

I still want to know about the nature of the jobs money Florida's NASA folks received. Could be the spleen is being vented in the wrong direction, but I don't know.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I thought the TX economy was booming? Those affected could always move to FL-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:57 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• OK. I found some info: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7157550.html

Two excerpts:

"WASHINGTON — The White House on Tuesday spelled out $40 million in emergency economic adjustment assistance to help Florida's hard-hit Space Coast recover from the end of space shuttle operations and changes in the moon program, prompting yet more criticism from Texans in Congress about why the Lone Star State got nothing."

and this:

"The Obama administration has promised another $60 million in unspecified help for other areas across the country that will be affected by changes to the nation's space policy, including $15 million in job retraining."

9000 job losses in Florida...anyone know the number in Texas?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010