Is it bad that I spoil my son?

my son is five. Hes a little on the spoiled side, but at the same time isnt a brat. My friends pick on me because there really isnt much he doesn't get that he doesn't want. He does know the meaning of the word NO. & he knows how to earn his own money, & save his own money (amazing at five. Im soo proud) But like he wanted a flat screen tv, because everyone else in the house had one & his t.v was out dated. sooo when we came across a super great deal on a small one we got it for him.

its stuff like that, that make my friends call him spoiled. But hes really well mannered, normally listens (as much as any five year old can) does what hes told to do, & all....

Is there a good way to spoil? or is all spoiling bad? the same friends daughter is a spoiled brat & acts like it..... At five my son is better mannered & more well behaved to her 14 year old, &&& 8 year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I had my first son my doctor gave me the best advice that I have followed for all 3 of my kids. He said "Children are made to be spoiled". As long as they have respect and appreciation for what they have I don't see a problem with spoiling.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:16 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think you are doing it right. As long as you continue to instill all that in him while doing it, you are great.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:00 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The future will tell. If he think he's entitled to having nice new things later because you always give it to him now, it will be a problem. You may not always be able to afford for him to have the best, coolest, latest whatever and that could create a power struggle especially in those pesky teen years.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Why is a 5 y/o with a flat screen bad? My son had a TV and a VCR and a game system then and used them all responsibly. In fact, the system and all the games are still in working condition. Actually every toy, game, DVD, CD and book he has ever owned is still in almost mint condition.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:03 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I can say it's not bad to spoil him since he IS well behaved, but at the same time it just instills in his head that material things are more important than they are. No one in this house NEEDS a tv in their room, and no one has one.

We try to live as simple as possible....most clothes are purchased used at ebay and thirft stores, same with toys and games. My son helps me with making homemade bread, butter, ice cream, cheese and he does a few chores that someone his age can handle. We just don't want a huge emphasis on things
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:04 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I HATE televisions in the bedroom. We have two TVs in our house, none of which are in the bedrooms. It's good that your son is well mannered, but I think the bigger concern is materialism. It's better to teach them that they don't need things like TVs and every new toy, it's excessive and there are more important things in life.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 6:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• yes.
    nikkita311

Answer by nikkita311 at 6:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We treat out kids the same way... if we can afford it and they are well behaved or earn it, why not? I don't think materialism is a factor unless all you do is give him goods- but teaching a kid and spending time with them is the only way to deter that... I know many unspoiled kids that are materialistic.

I think my kids are very well behaved, particularly compared to many the know, they have great manners and are caring people. We teach them to give back, help out in the community and understand the world around them. Life is a gift, live it that way- but be thoughtful of it as well.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• He doesn't get a every new toy, He doesn't get everything. He had a t.v in his room for movies only. I can't stress enough that my son knows what the word No means. We dont get him everything he askes for, just most of it. He does get things to do outside. He does play outside (when its not too hot!!) The T.V was just an explame of how we try to spoil him. He doesn't get the name brand clothes or shoes all the time. We get his clothes mostly from walmart & stores like that. We also get from thift stores, In fact we've only ever bought maybe two new pairs of shoes for him. Most of his clothes & shoes are hand me downs from friends & family...
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:20 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• If he acts well and mature and understands no, i dont see why a little spoiling is a bad thing. it's nice he's able to enjoy nice things!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:01 PM on Aug. 18, 2010