Do you depend on overtime?

McCain Voted to Disqualify Millions of Workers from Overtime and Equal Pay Protections. McCain supported an amendment that would have disqualified as many as 10 million workers at firms with less than $1 million in annual revenue from minimum wage, overtime pay and equal pay protections under the Fair Labor Standards Act. (S.Amdt. 128 to S. 256, Vote 27, 3/7/05) McCain Voted Against Protections for Workers’ Overtime Pay. McCain voted against protecting workers’ overtime pay from Bush administration rules that threatened the overtime rights of 6 million workers. Previously, he opposed a measure prohibiting the U.S. Department of Labor from implementing any regulation that would take away overtime protection from workers. (S. 1637, Vote 79, 5/4/04; S.Amdt. 1580 to H.R. 2660, Vote 334, 9/10/03)

akhlass

Asked by akhlass at 11:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• YES! We cannot pay all our bills if my hubby does not work overtime. Granted, that is our fault because we made really stupid choices when we were younger and are in debt. Even if we didn't have any of the debt though it would still be tight without overtime. Fortunately his job has mandatory overtime right now though. I don't understand why he would vote against overtime. I need to research that and find out what his reasoning is, just out of curiosity. I never even considered voting for him anyway.
    indexmom

Answer by indexmom at 12:39 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• i'm not surprise.
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 11:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• if the question is do i depend on overtime, then my answer is no. i'm self-employed. if i want more money, i work more hours, or add more people to my chair in my given-hours. do i support overtime pay for those who work overtime and are paid by the hour? yes.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Is this the content of the entire bill?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Propaganda. That amendment was designed to help small business. It's the engine of our economy. Raising the minimum wage does nothing more than cause small business to increase prices, lay off workers, or go out of business. It causes larger businesses to increase prices, lay off workers or oursource to Mexico, South America or Asia. The overtime provision only applied to a biweekly pay schedule so that if it didn't total 80 hours per biweekly, no overtime would be mandated. That's still a 40 hour work week.

MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 2:33 AM on Oct. 8, 2008