Labor or just a back ache?

I dont really know if these are considered contractions but my stomach will tighten, not too painfully, and then my back will start aching horribly! Its hard to tell how long they last because I have a constant back ache, and have for months. does this sound like labor to you? I'm just used to getting contractions and feeling it in my belly

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 6:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Are they the same amount of time apart? If so then yes, it's probably labor.

Do you know which way your baby is facing? If he's "sunny side up" meaning face up then his/her back would be rubbing on your spine, that's what causes back labor. I had that with my oldest and it is by far the worst labor ever. It literally feels like your back will break in half (don't mean to scare you).
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 6:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• How far apart are they and how long are they lasting? It could be the beginning of labor but it could also just be your body warming up.

I agree that baby could be in a posterior position, causing the back pain. See if you can find a chiropractor that is skilled in the webster technique. It could help you avoid a painful labor. Until then spend some time on your hands and knees and sway your tailbone back and forth. This also helps get baby in a good position.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 7:18 PM on Aug. 18, 2010