How can I get my son to eat?

If its not cheese puffs, potato chips, anything with sugar, or grilled cheese (basically anything with cheese). My son won't eat it. His weight is fine, but I'm worried about him not getting all the nutrition he needs. I have pediasure for him, but I'd like him to eat!! Help!!

CzarofOhio

Asked by CzarofOhio at 6:26 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't stock the cupboard with junk. If you don't buy it,he can't eat it. Buy nutritious stuff only.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Stop feeding him crap.
    When he is actually hungry, he WILL eat. No healthy child will intentionally starve their self... You're going to create a monster if you don't do something now.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:29 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ObbyDobbie,

I tried that method, he went 2 days without eating. Seriously, he lived on water and milk. I finally gave in because I didn't think it was healthy for him to flat out NOT be eating.

butterflyblue19,
    Same answer applies, he will not eat.

My child is unbelievably stubborn.
    CzarofOhio

Comment by CzarofOhio (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Ok, so I sorta agree with the two above about not having junk food... But I mean come on plenty of us enjoy it :)
    What I do with my son, is I make him take say... 3 bites of something before I give up. 'they' say that kids have to develop a taste for foods and so the more they have it the more likely they will be to like it... Or at least be able to say they don't like it.
    My son loves salad, I find it's the easiest way to get him to eat veggies, and I pack the salad full of them and then I let him choose his own dressing... He can have multiple dressings if he wants so long as he eats.

A kid will not starve themselves so just don't offer alternative meals to what's for dinner... Start now otherwise for the remainder of your time cooking for the lil one you will be making mutiple meals, and we don't want that :)

There are also recipes that can make food fun bugs on a log (pb and celery with raisins) be creative :)
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Again, when he is hungry he WILL EAT. You gave in, and you taught him that all he has to do to get what he wants is to manipulate you. He will not starve to death. Cut the crap, and he WILL eat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:33 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Oh, oh oh! Get multi vitamins and look up the nutrition pyramid because lil kids only need like 2 oz of meat A DAY... They don't need that much :) I hope it helps.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Yeah, my son loves salad. But, I'm fairly sure thats the extent of his healthy eating habits. lol. I lied, FRUITS, he LOVES fruits, almost any kind. Its vegetables and meats we have a problem with. I've heard people say its textures and stuff that throws the kid off, but I'm still unsure. He has gotten to the point where he won't even TRY it. He looks at whatever is on the spoon, and instantly turns his head unless he can tell its something he wants.

I agree that I have to stop giving in, but I feel horrible when he starts screaming his head off (not to mention, more than a little angry about it). I refuse to be one of those mothers who has to cook two different meals because their child will not eat it. So, I'm all for the advise you guys are giving! Thanks!
    CzarofOhio

Comment by CzarofOhio (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nice thought on the vitamins, I'll invest in the gummy ones too (I'm sure he'll love them). I've also heard that vitamins will make the child hungrier, also? That could be helpful all in itself! Thanks!
    CzarofOhio

Comment by CzarofOhio (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• There is NO reason that you can't let him have fruit (even in the excess), it may give him loose stool at first, but his body will adapt. Fruit sugar is NOT processed like refined sugar, and you shouldn't limit it... My kids eat EVERYTHING that they are offered, but that has taken a lot of work on my part. I refuse to turn them into picky eaters... If you're genuinely interested, PM me. It's too much to explain here.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I'll definitely PM you, and yeah, my son eats all the fruit he wants. I'm just more worried about meats and veggies.
    CzarofOhio

Comment by CzarofOhio (original poster) at 6:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010