Diagnosed with Diabetes at 17...do you know a teen with diabetes?

My dh's 17 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes today.He just started college..just got to his dorm last week.He had dry mouth and his heart was hurting so he drove himself to the E.R.He's at a University about 3-4 hours away from home.
Well, it turns out..its type 2 Diabetes. His sugar is at 362. He's been admitted to the hospital and is expected to have to stay there for the next 4-5 days.
I know its not the worse diagnosis.It could have been worse.He has a heart condition and we all thought thats what was wrong. So we were suprised to find out this news.
Having diabetes is life changing though to some extent. If you know someone that has this, how did they handle it?Are there any good books/resources I could pick up for them?Any information you have will be helpful and appreciated, thankyou.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 6:30 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My mom's been a type 1 for 54 years and I've been a type 2 for 9 years now. Honestly, if you didn't know me, you'd never know that I have it. I do watch what I eat, especially monitoring my carbohydrate intake since carbs turn to sugar in the body, and I take a couple of pills twice a day along with Lantus insulin at night. I have to monitor my blood sugars before meals and bedtime. Besides seeing a doctor every 3 months, I lead a very normal life.
    Your son SHOULD see a diabetic counselor, and a dietitian/ while he is in the hospital, or soon after. He will learn what & how much he should be eating, how much he should be exercising, how to test his sugars, what to watch for, etc. Sorry, buddy, but alcohol will be a HUGE no-no. Alcohol shoots blood sugars sky high. Since he has a heart condition, it's all that much more vital for him to control his blood sugars to avoid more damage to his heart.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:11 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I had a friend in college who was a lifelong diabetic. He just ate well, made a point of staying active, and avoided alcohol most of the time. Good luck! It might be worth your while for the rest of the fam to get checked.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 6:35 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• With proper monitoring, he should be just fine and should live a long, happy life. My cousin (she's 6) was diagnosed with it at age 4. It was tragic, but her health is 100% better now that they have a diagnosis and they monitor her diet. I went to school with a girl who had to check her blood sugar at lunchtime. It wasn't a big deal at all.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My dad has type 2 and he has been just fine...he's had it for about 4 years now, and he hasn't had any complications really, he checks his blood sugar like he's supposed to and takes his meds as perscribed. As long as you stay on your meds and check ur sugars when the dr tells you to, you should lead a normal life otherwise.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 6:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My sister in law found out around 18 she was getting one final physical before going off her parents insurance. They detected it at that point. She adjusted her diet and took pills. There are alot of sugar free items so not as hard. She now takes insulin shots but it was suppose to just be during her pregnancy but she choose to stay on not sure why. If you monitor it, watch food, and execrise it is not bad. Just don't ignore it because left untreated can effect feet and vision.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 6:41 PM on Aug. 18, 2010