Whatever happened to kids eating til they were full at a meal?

I don't understand this eating every 3 hours thing. We ate til we were full at a meal,then that was it til the next meal. And dessert was for after dinner only.
School me!

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 6:40 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's how it is at my house. They can have a small snack after school but for the most part it's 3 meals a day and then sometimes a snack at night before bed.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No clue. We still do 3 meals a day plus an after school snack.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Don't know what to tell you. In my house its breakfast, lunch, an afterschool snack, and dinner. Dessert is something special that usually only takes place on the weekends and can be something as simple as slices of cantaloupe.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:42 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Keeps blood sugar in check, and prevents us from being programmed to binge. My kids graze- they do eat meals, but I do not force them to over feed. I prefer that they eat when they are hungry, and that includes meal times. Snacks consist of fresh fruit, veggies, whole grain toast with PB, etc. It's not about letting them eat whenever, however, whatever, and how much ever they feel like, but teaching them how to maintain their bodies natural hunger cycles.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:50 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• That's how my house is, though of course when my 3 older children are at their fathers he lets them eat anything and everything they want, whenever they want.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 6:43 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Well I am pretty sure it has been said that kids have a smaller stomach, they dont need as much food, and they naturally know when they are full. We should teach them when they are young to stop eating when they feel slightly full, instead of STUFFED...dd grazes all day long, and i dont push her to eat more food at breakfast lunch or dinner when she says she is done, she is done...and guess what, she isn't over weight! I will let my childrens bodies tell them what to do, and maybe they wont end up one of the unfortunate overweight children of America. Besides it is better to eat small meals and snacks all day than 3 big meals.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I know eating 3 meal a day and 3 snacks a day is a diabetic thing. To keep the blood sugar even. Having children do it I do not know . Kids do not need to normaly eat every 3 hour.

Answer by louise2 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• As a kid who was FORCED to sit at the dinner table until I ate everything on my plate, I refused to do that to my children! I provide them with a variety of healthy meals and snacks, and let them eat as much as they want...we save the leftovers and they can eat again when they are hungry!

Smaller meals throughout the day is actually more effective at maintaining your weight than three large meals. If you body knows food is coming on a regular basis it will not store food and will instead burn it off.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't know what you're talking about, so I'm no help. I know that it's recommended that adults eat every 3 hours. My children get breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, and sometimes desserts. If they are hungrier on certain days, they eat more snacks. I don't mind. I'm not really a food nazi.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 6:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• School LOL!! No seriuosly they get rushed at school so they aren't full
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:45 PM on Aug. 18, 2010