Do your kids take care of the pet they promised to?

Or has it become your job?

kerryket

Asked by kerryket at 7:05 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Pets

• They don't 'take care' of the pets- they do help out. I wouldn't want my life to be resting in the hands of an eight year old, and I'm pretty sure the pets feel the same way! The kids are involved daily with the care of the pets (and of course, playtime and the other fun stuff!) but I'm ultimately responsible for them- because of that I have the final say on what pets we get and I wouldn't take on anything I wasn't prepared to take care of.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:26 AM on Aug. 20, 2010

• My kids only take care of the pet for maybe a week, then either I take over or it or it's given away. That's why my kids have no pets now.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• You bought a animal for the kids to learn responsability? And now they will not take care of the animal? Could have told you this does not work.

Answer by louise2 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We started off simple. With a fish. =) Little Man loves feeding the fish. (Mind you we also have a few dogs & cats, but its part of his chorus to feed them... so he was already getting the hang of it.)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:15 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• We got the dogs "for" the kids, but they didn't ask for them. They will take care of them when asked. My son LOVES to feed the dogs, and he's 4. My SD only comes for our visitation, but she feeds them when reminded.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 7:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• My daughter helps my husband clean the guinea pig cage every week. She also checks to make sure they have fresh water, pellets, and hay. We bought our first guinea pig in January of last year and she's been pretty good.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• me...she helps
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• tried that . i got 3 goats and it turned out i had to take care of them i was the only one that wasn't scared to go into the cage.
    bobo69

Answer by bobo69 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2010

• Both my kids help with the animals. My son will soon be 10 and my daughter will be 6 next month. I may have to remind them A LOT but they clean up after the dogs and feed them. They both recently asked if they could move the dog kennels to their rooms and they moved them by theirselves.
    Nindy

Answer by Nindy at 12:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2010

• They don't take care of the pets, but I never expected them to. Because they won't, I get to choose what pets we have and how many. They can get more when they are older. 5 and 7 now
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:28 PM on Aug. 18, 2010