Does your degree help you to be a better parent?

I am asking this tonight for I had majored in Child Development. Since this is my area my dh feels I should have all the answers. I told him I dont see our children in the text books and besides the books are how old? lol So my question tonight is Does one schooling help us in our home with the family? In my cause I can tell him why they are driving me crazy and what is causing it but what to do after that I have no clue...:)

moma22angels

Asked by moma22angels at 11:48 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I suppose I would hold a financial advisor more accountable for household finances if I were married to one. I would hope that if my husband was a chef, that he wouldn't burn pancakes. I suppose it is HELPFUL to have a degree in child development, and it gives you a slight advantage. That does not mean you have all the answers. Not at all.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 11:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• I have a degree in accounting, and that's helped me with the money and the budget, I take care of all that. I took some child development classes while in college as well, because I was already a mom going through college, and they counted for some gen. ed. requirements. But I don't really think it helped all that much. I had my own theories and ideas and strategies, and what I had been doing was working, so I just kept that up and did my own thing. You need to tell your husband that just because you have a degree in that doesn't make you an expert!! LOL ;) I'm sure it helps some, but every child is different.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• Mine helps me on occasion. My degree's in psych and my area was social psychology, which is basically group dynamics. Comes in handy in the family setting, sometimes.

Oh, and my minor in sociciology helps me set up the furniture in the living room so as to best avoid a mob riot... =D
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:00 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• That is what I have been telling him.. He just was getting on my nerves and said you are the one who went to school for this. Sure I went to the mommy school. He was just being a butt... Cant all dh at times...
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 12:02 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Not at all. Unfortunately, Child Development classes rarely teach about children. They teach about groups of children, but not individual kids. It is even more so with your own children. Our kids did not take those classes, so I guess they don't know how they are supposed to act. Perhaps if we took the class while we were pregnant? LOL not likely.

3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 12:11 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• haha holy shit, my accounting degree does not make me a better parent! LOOOOOOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:27 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I have a BA in Liberal Studies (for being a teacher) and my MS in Ed. Leadership. If anything, I'm a more strict parent because I know too many different ways kids screw up.
    Ilovepie77

Answer by Ilovepie77 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 8, 2008