Flight attendent takes baby from mom on a plane after witnessing the mom slap the baby, was she right to do this?

http://www.9news.com/news/world/article.aspx?storyid=148762&catid=347
(sorry not sure how to post it as a link)
Supposedly the mom slapped the 13MONTH OLD because she was throwing a fit and screaming and kicking and the mom was just trying to get her attention to calm her down... I personally think the flight attendant did the right thing and the airlines did call for police when they landed in ABQ and both the mother and father were questioned as well as the flight attendant and witnesses on the plane. no one was arrested and charges were not filed but i'm sure this is not the end of this case and i hope these parents get help, the mom sounds like she has serious issues...

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 7:06 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Wow!! I think she did the right thing. Maybe going through that will make her realize that people are watching her, and you can't do that to a kid, much less a 13 month old!!! SHe seriously needs some parenting classes and anger managment help.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• she was right to take the baby i would hve
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• IMO, I think she did the right thing. There are many ways to handle the situation without hitting your child & if more people would step up & do something when they witness abuse towards a child, alot of children would be saved from these situations. I personally would have done the same thing. The mother should atleast be sent to parenting classes so she can learn other ways of calming her child down.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 7:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• The flight attendent should have observed what was happening and talk to the a person in charge. If any thing else happened the take action.

Answer by louise2 at 7:14 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Actually, what she did was WRONG. She had NO authority to act in such a case. Where the HELL did she get off thinking she was some type of social worker to snatch the child. I would have fought tooth and nail to keep someone such as her from touching my child. The ONLY thing she should have done is call the police (as was done). But taking the child from the parent? EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:17 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• did u read the article MaryWolfe? according to the article the FA took the baby to the back of the plane and was joined by the father who stayed back there holding the baby until she fell asleep... and the father even admitted he'd asked the mom not to his the baby anymore. That poor baby was probably miserable from being tired and having to sit still on a plane and the altitude can really hurt little one's ears. It sounded to me like the mom was just overreacting to the tantrum...
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• sorry typo "asked the mom not to *HIT* the baby anymore"
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 7:22 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree with MaryWolfe.......it was a slap, not technically abuse. If anyone would ever try to take my children away because I slapped them there would be all kinds of hell to pay. That said.......I don't think it's right to ever hit a child, there are much more effective ways of dealing with them. According to CPS slapping/spanking is not abuse unless you leave a mark......whether you agree or not that's the way it is in Pa.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• While I think that the mom definitely lost it and it was over the top, she didn't beat her so I think the flight attendant was a little out of place. Especially since the mother could have just hit her little hand or something....

I think the bigger question is what was the dad doing while the baby was throwing the tantrum and his wife was having a nervous breakdown?????? It says the parentS were not cited, as in they were both there! Sso he was just sitting there, shooting the shit while this whole thing took place... If anyone is the irresponsible parent, it was him. IMHO
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 7:37 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I agree w/ BriHan! Where was the father during all of this? If he was asking her not to hit the baby anymore why wasn't HE the one taking the baby away from the mother? Whether she was right or wrong for what she did to the kid god help the person who attempted to take my kid away from me. Though if this were me & I was traveling ALONE I would have asked someone else to hold her for a bit if I was getting that frustrated. There's always a grandma on the plane that would love to entertain & shut your kid up.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:44 PM on Aug. 18, 2010