Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My mil had renters they left in feb and have not paid her any rent and there things are still in the house we live in north carolina how can i help her wth this

Answer Question

Asked by regian19832002 at 7:07 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Relationships

Level 17 (3,597 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • Sell whatever you can to make up for the rent they didn't pay

    Answer by older at 7:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • For 1 that was 6 months ago and is considered abandoned. She has the right to go in the home and get rid of the things that are in it and put the house back up for rent.

    Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:09 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Check with state laws. Here landlords have to remove the renter's things and put them in storage at the landlords expense and inform the renter where it is. They have 90 days to go get their stuff or the landlord can sell it or throw it out. As far as back rent,she'll have to sue or suck it up.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • well it was in her basement it is set up like a apartment and they have not made any effort to get there things at all

    Comment by regian19832002 (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Its its been over 30 days she has the right to get rid of it. any way she sees fit. Double check with the law && then she can sell it or give it away or just throw it away...

    as for the back rent, she can either sue, OR just forget about it... Theres not many choices in that area

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:13 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Basically, don't fret about no rent, but being that its been since Feb. that they moved and left stuff....she can dispose of it as she sees fit since it has been over the typical 90 days. And if there wasn't a written lease....had to prove things.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:24 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Sell it all for the rent not paid.

    Answer by dancinintherain at 7:25 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • no written lease but i was there when they aggred on rent and how much 2 pay and they hve been gone since feb thank u guys

    Comment by regian19832002 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • I managed 2 apt.complexes,and it all depends what the state law says.In Oregon,you need to send a 30 day notice to their last known address that they have 30 days to get there property.Even if there last known address was your MIL address.After 30 days,you can dispose of their property as you see fit.My advice to you is contact a Tenant/Landlord Attorney and get advice from an attorney.And it does not matter if they don't have a rental agreement.Don't do anything until youv'e talked with an attorney.Like I said...there are different laws for different states.Good luck!!!

    Answer by bvannkissy at 7:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

  • Is there a reason why they left it all are they in jail. I think that after so long you have the right to get rid of it. But checkwith your city laws.

    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:59 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.