Breastfeeding and having a period?

I am breastfeeding my 9 1/2 week little girl. My doctor has started me on POP birth control pills. I am still on my first pack and have had two periods already. I have heard that breastfeeding women don't usually have a period. Anyone knowledgable in this area?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doc told me the same thing, but i'm on my first period, and she's almost 3 months old. However I can say that it's a lot lighter than I expected. I got the Paraguard IUD at my 6 week check up, and this is my second one, so I fully expected all that lovely heavy bleeding and cramping like I had last time, but it's not anywhere near that. Here is a link that I got off of kellymom.com
    http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/menstruation.html
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You CAN have a period even though you are breastfeeding and on POPs...
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 11:51 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• But the bleeding could also be due to other hormonal changes and not be a real period. Ask your OB GYN to be safe.
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 11:52 PM on Oct. 7, 2008

• my doctor told me the only way to ensure you dont bleed while breast feeding is if you do it regurly like every two - three hrs. even through the night. so when your feedings are farther apart and their sleeping longer through the night their not close and rgular feedings any more so you can get a period. not sure about the pills im on the shot and you dont have periods on the shot but she could be right and it is a hormone thing.
    mamma_lyn

Answer by mamma_lyn at 12:01 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I was feeding my daughter at least every 2 hours and started my period when she was 2 months old. I was SO MAD!!! Sorry! It kind of sucks.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I was on a what they call a mini pill while breastfeeding my baby and I didn't have a period for like 3 or 4 months and then when I did get one I had cramps from hell and heavy bleeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Oct. 8, 2008