My 3 year old daughter sucks her thumb constantly. Iv tried nail bitting polish and it worked for a little while but now she just washes it off. Any suggestions on what I can do? I'm afraid that she will ruin her teeth

cheek

Asked by cheek at 11:53 PM on Oct. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I sucked my thumb until I went to school. I was subsequently teased for being a baby. I think it's one of the Rites of Passage for a kid. I also only have two crooked teeth in my entire mouth. My mom said that the only thing that worked was humiliation. She tried vinegar, cayenne pepper and smacking my hand. Apparently I was a stubborn critter.
    SkyeGirl

Answer by SkyeGirl at 12:04 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I sucked my thumb until I was 5 and the only thing that worked was that my mom kept telling me that everyone was going to make fun of me when I would start school and that I should stop if I don't want to get teased.
    mom2soley

Answer by mom2soley at 12:18 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• it is an old wives tail that you will ruin your teeth, she still has her baby teeth! I sucked my thumb and so did my husband and we both have perfect teeth, and never had braces. She will stop when she wants to.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 6:57 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I too have sucked my thumb for a long time..I would say until I was like 5-6 yrs old...One day I just stopped cause it wasnt fun for me anymore..and my teeth... well they started to fall out anyways by like 7 or 8 yrs old....I wouldnt worry about it..just make sure her hands are clean..she will stop on her own...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My 3 yr old son sucks his thumb he started before he was 6months and hasn't stopped. I asked his pediatric dentist and she said that rather than make a big deal about forcing him to quit, that it is better to praise him when I notice that he is not sucking his thumb. She also said that it isn't a big deal until they are at least 5 or so and that most kids stop on there own when they are ready. My mom put gloves with the fingers cut off, just the thumbs left, on my sister to help her quit, but my sister was older and wanted to quit (she was at the age where she was getting picked on for it). The gloves were just there to remind her when she put her thumb in her mouth.
    DevlinsMom303

Answer by DevlinsMom303 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• my son does it when he gets tired and when he is hungry. and maybe when he is unsure about something. Some times knowing what is making them stick the thumb in their mouths could help break the habit. My son's thump sucking has decreased now that we know what to watch for. We can't catch it 100% of the time but its getting better. good luck
    Midnightduck515

Answer by Midnightduck515 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 13, 2008