Do you believe in force feeding?

I hate left overs on a plate, but if you're full there isn't much you can do about it right?! My mil, and i have seen her, has forced food into my child's mouth while she was screaming!

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 7:49 PM on Aug. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That would piss me off and I would have to say something about it. Force feeding is not the way to get a child to eat.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No way. She can choke her. Tell her to STOP that. It is dangerous.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 7:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I was forced to clean my plate as a child, and there were times I would be sitting at the dinner table until 10PM, refusing to finish!! I ended up developing bulemia...ate the food to placate "Mommy Dearest" and then promptly threw it up! I REFUSE to do that to my children.

Food should NOT be used as a reward or a punishment!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:51 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I would not let her anywhere near the baby until she knocked that off.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Nice way to choke the child. Jamming in food while they are screaming is VERY DANGEROUS!!! They will eat when they get hungry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• Okay...that sounds bad. I do not believe in that at all. Each person's body is different and holds different amounts of food. Each child stomach has a different capacity. Forcing is never okay and can cause physical and psychological damages.
    MakkarMom

Answer by MakkarMom at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I don't do that. I had food issues for a long time because I was force fed like that. I make my son eat- but only what he can. If he tells me he's full, and he's eaten a reasonable amount I let him go after 2 more bites. It's cruel and sickening to make a child eat when they are full. I blame that treatment for my hatred of feeling full- I can only eat until I'm no longer hungry, any more than that makes me sick. (So it can also cause life-long food issues!)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 7:52 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• I think you should only put on the plate what you know they can eat at that age... If our boys take something and then want to waste it, then I make them eat it... We start with small portions no matter what so they usually can eat it. If they want 2nds they don't have to finish it, because they did finish the first helping...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No, I don't believe in force feeding. If you force feed a child it will cause the child to dislike the food or any type of food they will also become scared when it comes times to eat. If any one tried that with my children I would go off on them!!
    Mami4vida

Answer by Mami4vida at 7:53 PM on Aug. 18, 2010

• No. And in most states that is considered abuse... If you don't want left overs on a child's plate, put less on it to begin with... Forcing a child to eat is not only a choking hazard, but it stretches their stomach and leads to overeating and obesity as an adult.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on Aug. 18, 2010